Mykonos International Airport
|Mykonos International Airport
Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Μυκόνου
|Operator||Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture|
|Location||Mykonos Island, Greece|
|Elevation AMSL||405 ft / 123 m|
The airport first operated in 1971.
During the off-peak tourist season the airport has limited flight connections and operating hours. On the other hand, during the 2014 peak summer season it was found necessary to severely limit general aviation activity, allowing only a technical stop of 2 hours. For the summer of 2016, NOTAM B0335/16 introduces a similar limitation, but now even down to a one hour's stop.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Mykonos International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement between the Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture and the state privatisation fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Mykonos International Airport) for 40 years.
Fraport started managing the airport from 11th April 2017.
Future of Mykonos International Airport - Fraport Greece’s investment plan
On 22 March 2017, the Fraport-Greece presented its master plan for the 14 regioal airports including the Mykonos International Airport.
Immediate actions that will be implemented at the airports as soon as Fraport Greece takes over operations before the launch of the summer season 2017 include: :
- General clean-up
- Improving lighting, marking of airside areas.
- Upgrading sanitary facilities
- Enhancing services and offering new free Internet connection (WiFi)
- Implementing works to improve fire safety in all the areas of the airports
The following summarizes the enhancement changes that will be implemented for Mykonos International Airport under Fraport Greece’s investment plan until 2021 :
- Expanding and remodeling the terminal – 50 percent increase in the total size of the terminal at 13,350 m2, with the construction of a new terminal area
- New fire station
- Reorganizing apron
- 13 percent increase in the number of check-in counters (from 12 to 16)
- 17 percent increase in the number of departure gates (from 6 to 7)
- 25 percent increase in the number of security-check lanes (from 4 to 5)
Airlines and destinations
The transfer time from the town to the airport is about 10 minutes.
Transit bus service is provided between the Airport and the city of Mykonos (Chora) and other destinations, (only during summer season). There is a public bus stop in front of terminal building. Tickets can be purchased by the bus driver. For more Information please contact: http://www.mykonosbus.com/index.en.html
By Car : Access the Airport quickly and easily, by driving your own car. Mykonos Airport is located 3.5 km from the city of Mykonos (Chora) and is easily accessible via Mykonos provincial road. The journey to and from the city centre takes about 10 minutes. Ornos, Psarrou, Platis Gialos are 3.5 km away from the airport and the journey from the Airport takes about 10-15 minutes.
By Taxi : 24/7 metered taxi service is available outside the Mykonos Airport Terminal building. The journey from the Airport to the city of Mykonos (Chora) is about 10 minutes and the fare is normally 15€.
For directions using a GPS device, find below the physical street address and the geographical coordinates of Mykonos Airport. All you need to do is enter the following information in your GPS device.
Airport Latitude and Longitude: 37°26'3.16"N25°20'44.68"E
Airport physical address: Mykonos Airport, Mykonos 846 00
*2017 figures are for January–May only
- "World Aero Data: MIKONOS -- LGMK". www.worldaerodata.com. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "MYKONOS AIRPORT". ypa.gr. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/notamRetrievalByICAOAction.do?method=displayByICAOs&reportType=RAW&formatType=DOMESTIC&retrieveLocId=LGMK&actionType=notamRetrievalByICAOs Notam B0713/14
- "Greece signs privatization of 14 regional airports with Germany's Fraport - TornosNews.gr". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Editorial, Reuters. "REFILE-UPDATE 1-Greece signs major privatisation deal with Germany's Fraport". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- http://www.fraport-greece.com/eng/media-center/news/fraport-greece-begins-40year-concession-at-14-greek-regional-airports "Fraport Greece Begins 40-Year Concession at 14 Greek Regional Airports"], fraport-greece.com
- "Fraport Greece’s Development Plan for the New Era at the Greek Regional Airports", fraport-greece.com
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Eurowings S17 planned new routes as of 11AUG16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Eurowings launches Munich base; expands Vienna service in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "home". home. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Volotea S17 New routes as of 10OCT16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "To & From the Airport-How to get to the airport!", jmk-airport.gr
- "MYKONOS AIRPORT", ypa.gr
- "MIKONOS AIRPORT (JMK) - 2017 vs 2016", jmk-airport.gr