2 July 1958|
Kothavadi, Tamil Nadu, India
|Institutions||Indian Space Research Organisation|
|Alma mater||Government College of Technology, Coimbatore
PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore
|Known for||Chandrayaan I, Chandrayaan-2, Mangalyaan, Indian space program|
Mylswamy Annadurai (born 2 July 1958, in Kodhawady near Pollachi in Coimbatore district, Tamil Nadu, India) is a scientist with the Indian Space Research Organization and currently serves as Director, ISRO Satellite Centre(ISAC), Bangalore . Prior to that he was working as Programme Director for IRS&SSS (Indian Remote Sensing & Small, Science and Student Satellites) that include Chandrayaan-1, Chandrayaan-2, ASTROSAT, Aditya-1, Mars Orbiter Mission and many Indian Remote Sensing missions. Annadurai and his works are mentioned in 10th standard Science Text Book of Tamil Nadu. Annadurai has been listed among 100 Global thinkers of 2014 and tops the innovators list "
Early life and education
Mylswamy Annadurai has his schooling in his native village Kodhawady. He has obtained a Bachelors in Engineering degree at 1980 from Government College of Technology, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India and completed his Masters Degree in Engineering on 1982 from PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore and Ph.D from Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore Tamil Nadu in India. He joined ISRO in 1982. As the Mission Director of INSAT missions he has some of the original contributions to the INSAT systems maintenance.
He studied his primary in Union Elementary School in his native village. He moved to government school and completed his schooling up to 11th standard as there was no 12th standard in those days.His education journey continued and he completed his PUC in NGM College, Pollachi, B.E in Government College of Technology, Coimbatore. In 1980-82, he pursued his higher education and acquired his M.E. degree in PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore and the same year he joined in ISRO as a scientist. And later he got PhD in Anna University of Technology,Coimbatore. Presently, Annadurai is the leading technologist in the field of satellite system.
Annadurai writes a regular column, "Kaiyaruke Sevvai". ("Mars is at our Reach") in the Tamil Daily Dina Thanthi. He is approachable through Facebook. Annadurai and his works are mentioned in 10th standard Science Text Book of Tamil Nadu.
Mars Orbiter Mission
India's first mission to Mars, the Mars Orbiter Mission, or Mangalyaan, reached the planet on 24 September 2014 completing its 300 day journey. While ISRO has been researching for a Mars mission since years, the project was only approved by the government in August 2012. ISRO took over a year to work on the spacecraft and bring the project to implementation stage. The Mars Orbiter Mission was launched on 5 November 2013 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh, on the country's east coast. After travelling 670 million kilometres, Mangalyaan is now set to study the surface features, morphology, mineralogy and Martian atmosphere to better understand the climate, geology, origin, evolution and sustainability of life on the planet. It is the most cost effective of all the missions sent to the planet by any other country costing India about $74 million.
Chandrayaan I & II
Chandrayaan-1, was India's first mission to the Moon launched by India's national space agency, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). The unmanned lunar exploration mission included a lunar orbiter and an impactor. India launched the spacecraft by a modified version of the PSLV C11 on 22 October 2008 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota, Nellore District, Andhra Pradesh about 80 km north of Chennai at 06:22 IST (00:52 UTC). The mission was a major boost to India's space program, and India joined a band of Asian nations (China and Japan) in exploring the Moon. The vehicle was successfully inserted into lunar orbit on 8 November 2008.
During the period 2004-2008, as the Project Director for Chandrayaan-1, he led a team of engineers and scientists that designed and developed the project to carry instrumentation from ISRO and from NASA, ESA, and Bulgaria to accomplish simultaneous chemical, mineralogical, resource and topographic mapping of the entire lunar surface at high spatial and spectral resolutions. The project was realized within the time frame stipulated and the budget granted. He has paved the way for the future of Indian planetary missions and set an example for the international co-operation bringing the reputed international organizations like NASA, ESA, JAXA to work under the leadership of ISRO. Chandrayaan-1 has received many national and international awards including, the coveted Space Pioneers award for science and engineering at 28th International conference on Space development, in Florida USA in 2009.
Presently Dr.Annadurai is heading ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore  as Director. The centre is responsible for Building state of the art Satellites for Communication, Remote sensing, Navigation, Space Science and Interplanetary Missions.
Prior to the present appointment, Annadurai was in Charge of India's Remote Sensing and Science Missions as Programme Director. He also contributed to India's National Communication satellite (INSAT) missions as the Mission Director. He was the member secretary of the task team that prepared Chandrayaan-1 project report. He is the author of several research papers in his specialisation.
- 1982: Joined ISRO and following is his career ladder in ISRO,
- 1985: Team leader to develop S/W satellite Simulator
- 1988: Spacecraft operations manager, IRS-1A
- 1989: Spacecraft operations manager, IRS-1B
- 1992: Spacecraft operations manager, INSAT-2A
- 1993: Spacecraft operations manager, INSAT-2B
- 1994: Deputy Project Director, INSAT-2C
- 1996: Mission Director, INSAT-2C
- 1997: Mission Director, INSAT-2D
- 1999: Mission Director, INSAT-2E
- 2000: Mission Director, INSAT-3B
- 2001: Mission Director, GSAT-1
- 2003: Mission Director, INSAT-3E
- 2003: Associate Project, Director, EDUSAT
- 2004: Project Director, Chandrayaan-1
- 2008: Project Director, Chandrayaan-2
- 2011: Programme Director, IRS & SSS (Indian Remote Sensing & Small, Science and Student Satellites)
- 2015: Director, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore
During his holidays Annadurai tours across the country to meet and interact with the students to encourage them to study science. Through his inspirational talks he has become a role model among the children and youngsters. His talks and writings are more sought and attended to by the academia and the professionals.
Awards and achievements
- Doctor of Science, DSc (Honoris Causa) conferred by Pondicherry University(2009)
- Doctor of Science, DSc (Honoris Causa) conferred by Anna University, Chennai(2009)
- Doctor of Science, DSc (Honoris Causa) conferred by University of Madras, Chennai (2009)
- Doctor of Science, DSc (Honoris Causa) conferred by MGR University, Chennai (2008)
- Eminent Scientist Award from 76th Indian Science Congress - Madurai Kamaraj University Endowment.
- Annadurai is the recipient of the Hariom Ashram pretit Vikram Sarabhai Research Award for his outstanding Contributions to Systems analysis and Space systems management(2004).
- He is also the recipient of a citation from ISRO for his contribution to the INSAT systems Mission management(2003)
- Team Excellence award for his contribution to Indian Space Program(2007).
- ISRO Merit Award 2009
- Team Excellence Award 2010 as team leader of Chandrayaan-1 team
- The government of Karnataka awarded him the Rajyotsava Prashasti for Science (2008).
- National Aernautical Award-2008 from Aeronautical Society of India in recognition of his contributions in the field of Satellites/Spacecrafts
- Fellow of The Society for shock wave research, Dept.of Aerospace Eng, Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Bangalore
- Distinguished Alumni Award, PSG College of Technology, 2009.
- Jwel of GCT(Government College of Technology, Coimbatore) by GCT Alumni
- Personality of the year Awarded by St. Johns International School, Chennai
- Certificate of Appreciation from Boeing Asian - American professional Association, Houston, USA
- Space Systems award, 2009 from American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, US.
- NIQR Bajaj Award for "Outstanding Quality Man 2009"
- H K Firodia awards, 2009 for Science and Technology
- SIES (South Indian Education Society) Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati National Eminence Award, 2009 for Science and Technology
- Listed in the TNIE-Uninor Achiever of the year 2009,
- Listed in the Dinamalar-Uninor Achiever of the year 2009,
- Amara Bharathi National Eminence Award for Science and Technology, 2010
- Sir CV Raman Award-2010 from Periyar University, Salem
- Karmaveerar Kamaraj Award,2010 from Chennai Mhahajana sabha
- Hikal Chemcon Distinguished Speaker Award 2010,the 63rd Annual Session of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, Annamalai University.
- National Science and Technology Award, 2011, Sathyabama University, Chennai.
- Dr Rajah Sir Muthiah Chettiar Birthday Commemoration Award for 2012.
- Laurels for Team Achievement Chandrayaan-1, International Academy of Astronautics,2013, Beijing China
- Vivekananda Award for Human Excellence by Rama Krishna Mission 
- "Listed among 100 Global thinkers of 2014 and tops the innovators list "
- Distinguished Scientist Award, KC College, Mumbai, Diamond Jublie Award
Annadurai's publications and works are being widely referred by satellite operator's, one of his work has been referred in a US patent . He has written two books in Tamil namely, "Kaiyaruke Nila" and "Ariviyal Kalanjiyam". The Book" Kaiyaruke Nila" has won S. P. Adithanar Literary award for the year 2013.
Annadurai and his works are mentioned in 10th standard Science Text Book of Tamil Nadu.
- C.Pa.Adithanaar Literary Award 2013
- Poorna Chandra award from Rotary Club, Coimbatore.
- Tamil Ma-mani award, from Tirupur Tamil Sangam.
- Tamil Achiever Award,2011 by Bharathi Tamil sangam, Kolkatta.
- Example to Youth Award.
- Kalingarayar Award, By Kongu Charitable Trust Tamilnadu
- Citizen Extraodinary Award-2014
- Coordination vital to the success of moon mission
- Reaching for the moon
- pages 227&228
- Innovator among Global Thinkers
- Autonomous Mode of S/C operations
- Kaiyaruke Sevvai
- Space Systems award for Chandrayaan.
- "Doctorate awarded by Annauniversity , Chennai for Annadurai".
- "Doctorate awarded by Madaras University for Annadurai".
- "Doctorate awarded for Annadurai".
- "Eminent Scientist award for Annadurai".
- "Rajyotsava awards for space scientists". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 30 October 2008.
- "Outstanding Alumni" (PDF).
- Subramanian, T. S. (6 September 2009). "Space systems Award for Chandrayaan". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "outstanding quality man". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 11 November 2009.
- "HK Firodia award". The Times of India. 6 December 2009.
- "SIES award".
- "Achiever of the year 2009" (PDF).
- "Achiever of the year 2009".
- "Raja Sir Muthaia Chettiar Birthday Commemoration Award".
- "Vivekananda Award for Human Excellence".
- "Poorna Chandra award for Annadurai". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 18 November 2008.
- "Cheaper access to space possible: Annadurai". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 27 November 2008.
- Example to Youth Award Function.
- "Citizen Extraodinary Award".
- Moon Man
- A Star is born
- The man who will give India the moon
- MOM in Mission Mode
- How ISRO mission gave India the moon it asked for
- Speeches and Videos of Dr.Mylswamy Annadurai