Looking towards the south
|OS grid reference|
|• Cardiff||110 mi (177 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Senedd Cymru – Welsh Parliament|
Mynytho is a small village in the parish of Llanengan near the southern coast of the Llŷn Peninsula in northwestern Wales. It consists of a few houses and some farmland. There are also several campsites on the outskirts of the village. The population was 536 as of the 2011 UK census with over a third born in England.
- Adeiladwyd gan dlodi, — nid cerrig
- Ond cariad yw'r meini;
- Cydernes yw'r coed arni,
- Cyd-ddyheu a'i cododd hi.
In English this means
- It is built of poverty, not stones
- But love is its masonry,
- Shared aspirations are its timber,
- And shared commitment is what raised it up.
Mynytho is also the site of a small yet highly visible tower that stands on a hill (Foel Tŵr) overlooking the area. The tower, which is popularly known to English residents as the "Jampot", is an old windmill but was never a success due to crosswinds on the hill, it is identified on maps as being an old mill. The land (Foel Tŵr) on which it stands is owned by the National Trust.
The community supports its own large chapel called Horeb, which stands close to the common land and a spring said to have healing properties. Of historical interest is the older (18th century) but disused chapel (Capel Newydd) which stands on the left hand side of the road to Nanhoron.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Mynytho population (W37000353)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "Mynytho Community Page". penllyn.com. 2000–2009.
- "Foel Fawr old Windmill". penllyn.com. 2000.
- Holy Wells of Wales, Francis Jones, Gwasg Prifysgol Cymru, Cardiff 2003
- "The Chapels' Heritage Society Newsletter, Autumn 2005: Spring Meeting, Llanidloes". Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales. Archived from the original on 10 February 2007.
- "Llangian Community Page". penllyn.com. 2000–2009.
- "Rhydyclafdy Community Page". penllyn.com. 2000–2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mynytho.|