|President||You Byong-Jin Ph.D.|
|Location|| Seoul, South Korea
Myongji University is a private, Christian university founded in 1948 in South Korea. It provides higher education in the fields of engineering, sciences and humanities. It has two campuses: the Social Science Campus is located in Seoul and the Natural Science Campus is in Yongin which is 35 kilometres (22 mi) south of the capital. It is made up of 10 colleges, 42 departments, seven faculties and eight specialized postgraduate programs.
- 1 History
- 2 Symbol and mascot
- 3 Organization
- 4 Academic profile
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Myongji University set off as Seoul Primary College of Home Economics, established by Moo-gung Institution in 1948 and in 1953, established Geunhwa Women's Primary College. In 1955, its name was changed to Seoul's Primary Women's College. In 1956, it was reorganized as a coeducation school, Seoul College of Education of Liberal Arts and Science. Then, Christian founding spirit and education policy was set up. According to timely demand of reinforcement of vocational training, its name was changed again to Seoul Practical College of Liberal Arts and Science in 1962.
The school's name was changed from Moo-gung Institution to Myongji Institution based on Christian faith. After the inauguration of President Sang-geun You in 1964, its name changed to Myongji University. After being approved as a 4-year University, school planned and designed the 10 Developmental Programs including building new lecture halls, making and reorganizing departments, establishing graduate schools, etc.
Memorial Arch status raised to university on September 8, 1983 and made departments of politics and home economics, modified department qutoa. By active support of Myongji Institute, Yongin Campus was built and made remarkable growth such as founding of affiliated facility, Extension University dividing natural and social science campus in two different campuses.
On September 13, 1994, the Arts and Design Center was built in industry-academia cooperation of Myongji University and Nasan Group. Myongji University had a New Millennium Proclamation Ceremony to make creative epistemic community that will lead 21st century's Korea and to cope with rapidly changing university environment. It is also taking off to be a university living Christian faith, creativity, innovation, action and a university that becomes power of future society.
Symbol and mascot
The leafed tree symbolizes the founding spirit of the Myong Ji Educational Foundation to imbue the students with the Christian faith, so that they may become devoted and capable leaders who can contribute to the advancement of our culture and national prosperity and ultimately to the realization of world peace.
The white stallion is a symbol of loyalty, courage, obedience, and purity. It is also a reference to the equestrian origins of the Korean people. The school mascot is, therefore, a representation of the profound hope that Myongjians, like the white stallion, will be steeped in such virtues as loyalty, courage, obedience, and purity, as they gallop into the world for the realization of God's kingdom here on earth.
- College of Humanities
- Korean Language and Literature
- Library & Information Science
- Japanese Language and Literature
- Creative Writing
- Arabic Studies
- Art History
- Chinese Language and Literature
- English Language and Literature
- College of Social Science
- Public Administration
- Digital Media
- North Korean Studies
- Political Science and Diplomacy
- Youth Education and Leadership
- Child Development and Education
- Department of Social Welfare
- College of Business Administration
- Business Administration
- International Business and Trade
- Real Estate
- Management Information
- College of Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Industrial and Management Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering and Biotechnology
- Electronics Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Materials Science & Engineering
- College of Natural Science
- Division of Biosciences and Bioinformatics
- Food and Nutrition
- College of Arts and Physical Education
- Division of Design
- Division of Culture & Art
- Baduk Studies
- Division of Music
- Division of Physical Education, Sport and Leisure Studies
- College of Architecture
- Division of Architecture
- Space Design
- Bangmok College of General Education
- Division of general education in social science campus
- Division of Open Major in Social Sciences
- Division of general education in natural science campus
- Division of Open Major in Natural Sciences
- Department of Teacher Training
The Department of Baduk Studies was established in 1997, for the first time in world history, to pursue an academic study of baduk. The Department of Baduk Studies has been set up with the following aims:
- To promote students' game strength above the 5 dan level
- To acquire a deeper knowledge of life from Baduk culture
- To develop and educate the leaders in the field of baduk
- To teach necessary foreign languages to those who can introduce baduk culture to the world
The department teaches baduk theory and technique systematically, researches baduk culture in depth, and acquires wide and knowledge related to the game. The graduates will make proper baduk leaders in Korea and foreign countries.
The area of the Baduk Studies is divided into the nature of baduk, technical theory, practical matches, related fields, baduk education, and professional administration, to name a few.
In 1997, Baduk Instruction Studies was established in the College of Arts and Physical Education as a course. In 1998 it was promoted as an independent Department in the College of Arts and Physical Science, The enrollment quota was increased to 30, in 1999. In 2000 the first Bachelor of Arts in Baduk Studies appeared and in 2001 the Graduate School of Baduk Studies was opened. By 2003 the first Master of Arts in Baduk Studies appeared.
- College of Law
- Graduate School of Education
- Graduate School of Archival Sciences
- Graduate School of Social Education
- Graduate School of Social Welfare
- Graduate School of Industrial Technology
- Graduate School of Distribution & Logistics
- Graduate School of Business and Economics in Information
- Graduate School of Investment Information
International Graduate School
The programs are offered in English:
- Engineering design and management (specialization in electronics and communications engineering, mechanical and automobile engineering, environmental engineering, computer engineering and software)
- Intercultural studies
Applications are invited for undergraduate and graduate programs twice a year. For fall semester starting in the end of August applications are open from October 1 to November 30. For spring semester starting in the end of February applications are open from April 1 to May 31.
Other scholarships are also provided by university at graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) Lab. Supervised by Professor Taikyeong Ted Jeong. Laboratory main research interests include VLSI Implementation for Network and Communications Applications, Low-Power SOC designs, and High-Performance System designs. "We are also specialized in design of sensor and actuators for safety-critical applications. We are always looking for talented and young people who are interested in research areas of our lab and want to continue their graduate studies. In case you find our work interesting, challenging and want to share our workload and enthusiasm kindly contact the professor and graduate students for more information." See more detail in lab HomePage. ASIC Lab
- BioSciences and BioInformatics Lab: The Korea Rice Genome Database WWW Server is maintained by the Dept of Biological Science, Myongji University as a part of Korea Rice Genome Research Program supported by the National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology (NIAST), Rural Development Administration (RDA) under the direction of Science and Technology Policy Institute (STEPI).
- Intelligent Computing Research Lab (ICRL) aims at creating intelligent algorithms by using (artificial) neural networks for engineering and social science problems including inverse problem, pattern recognition, system identification, and optimization problem forecasting. Efforts for designing new architectures of neural networks and their learning algorithms are given in ICRL.
- Computer Graphics Lab
- Next Generation Power Technology Center: NPTC is an Engineering Research Center(ERC) sponsored by the Korean Ministry of Science and Technology and the Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF). NPTC is expected to be a world-leading research institute dedicated to the protection and SAS (Station Automation System) technology.
- Radiation Application and Medical Imaging Lab
- Electrical and Electronic Material Lab
- NanoBio Electronics and Systems Lab
- Mobile Computing Lab
- Software Engineering Lab
- Data Engineering Lab
- MicroBiology Lab
- Management Information System Lab
- Institute of Continuing Education
- Research Center for Intelligent Micro-Grid (RCIM): This research center was established on June 1, 2007 by the support of Korea Ministry of Commerce, Industry, and Energy. The aims of this research center are to develop the key technologies required for efficiently interconnecting the distributed generation and to educate the graduate students through carrying out the research project.
- ANTS Lab
- Spatiar Behaviour and Design studies
- SYSO Lab
- NBES (Nano–bio Science & Engineering) Lab is in the Electrical Engineering Building on the Yongin Campus and comes under Nanoscience & Engineering department. "Our research group is focussed on two main research areas: Biosensors and Semiconductor devices.MEMS-NBES Lab."
- Power IT Lab: Research topics are Power Information Technology (IT), Power System protection, Renewable energy Interconnection and Protection.
- (CICMS) Center for Integrated Construction Management Studies: CICMS researches mainly focus on effective utilization of information systems for the construction industry. Areas of research interests include computer integrated construction (CIC), building information modeling (BIM), information strategic planning (ISP), construction business process reengineering (BPR), earned value management systems (EVMS), automated performance measurement and management, automated cost and schedule control, and automated preliminary estimating.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Kang Kyung-dae, activist
- Park Ji-sung, footballer, captain of South Korean National team, mid-fielder for Manchester United
- Ahn Seon-tae, footballer, defender for Daejeon KHNP
- Cho Hyung-ik, footballer for Daegu FC
- Chu Jung-hyun, footballer for Mokpo City FC
- Han Tae-you, footballer for FC Seoul
- Jeon Kwang-jin, footballer
- Kim Bong-rae, footballer for Jeju United
- Kim Jung-hyuk, retired footballer and manager of Mokpo City FC
- Kim Kyung-rae, retired footballer, winner of K League Best XI in 1994 K League
- Kim Min-kyun, footballer for FC Anyang
- Koo Bon-sang, footballer for Ulsan Hyundai
- Moon Byung-woo footballer for Daejeon Korail FC
- Na Kwang-hyun, footballer
- Park Jae-hong, footballer
- Lee Moonse, singer and songwriter
- Kim Kwangseok, folk-rock singer
- Kim Feel, singer-songwriter
- Teddy Park, rapper, songwriter, and record producer
- Key, member of South Korean boy group SHINee
- Lee Taemin, member of South Korean boy group SHINee
- Kim Jonghyun, member of South Korean boy group SHINee
- Lee Donghae, member of the South Korean boy group Super Junior
- Lee Sungmin, member of Super Junior
- Yoon Bora, member of Sistar
- Qri, member of the South Korean girl group T-ara
- Jeon Boram, member of the South Korean girl group T-ara
- Kim Yubin, member of girl group Wonder Girls
- Jung Yunho, member of the South Korean boy group TVXQ
- Kim Junsu, member of JYJ
- Kim Yujeong, member of the South Korean girl group Laboum
- Park Bo-gum, actor and host
- Ryu Soo-young, actor
- Kim Nam-gil, actor
- Jo Hyun-jae, actor
- Bong Tae-gyu, actor
- Seok-Hyun Kang, actor
- Yeon Jung-hoon
- "Message from the University President". Myongji University.
- "Undergraduate School Statistics". Myongji University.
- "Myongji University Graduate Statistics". Myongji University.
- "Quickening Stage". Myongji University.
- "Growing Stage". Myongji University.
- "Developing Stage". Myongji University.
- "Leaping Stage". Myongji University.
- 교수진, Department of Linguistics, Seoul National University, retrieved May 27, 2010
- "명지대 총장에 宋梓씨 선임" [Song Ja named to Myongji U. chancellorship]. Yonhap News. 1997-06-13. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- "'高졸업' 샤이니 키 "성인 된만큼 더욱 책임감 갖겠다"". February 10, 2010. Retrieved September 1, 2016.