|Her Honour the Honourable
CM O.N.S. B.Ed BA
|29th Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia|
May 17, 2000 – September 7, 2006
|Governor General||Adrienne Clarkson
|Preceded by||James Kinley|
|Succeeded by||Mayann Francis|
|Born||Myra Ava Holtzman
May 17, 1949
Saint John, New Brunswick
Freeman was born Myra Ava Holtzman in Saint John, New Brunswick, the daughter of Anne Golda (Freedman), a homemaker, and Harry Holtzman, a businessman. She graduated from Dalhousie University with a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Education. In 1971, she started teaching with the Halifax Regional School Board until her appointment.
Freeman and her husband, Larry, have three children: Daniel M. Freeman, Jonathan Freeman and Debra Freeman.
On July 1, 2008 Freeman was appointed as a member of the Order of Canada.
- 2011 - Awarded a Doctor of Laws from Dalhousie University
- 2008 - Appointed Member of the Order of Canada.
- 2008 - Awarded a Doctor of Laws Honoris Causa, from St. Francis Xavier University.
- 2007 - Awarded a Doctor of Civil Laws from Saint Mary's University.
- 2007 - Awarded a Doctor of Civil Laws, from Acadia University.
- 2005 - Awarded a Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa, from Cape Breton University.
- 2004 - Awarded a Doctor of Humane Letters from Mount Saint Vincent University.
- 2003 - Appointed Honorary Captain (Navy) in the Canadian Forces.
- 2002 - Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal.
- 2001 - First recipient and first Chancellor of the Order of Nova Scotia.
- 2000 - Invested as a Dame of Justice and Vice Prior of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.
- Past Lieutenant Governors of Nova Scotia. Government of Nova Scotia. Accessed 2010-12-22.
- Canadian Heraldic Authority (Volume IV), Ottawa, 2002