This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Anna Myrra Malmberg|
|Born||1966 (age 51–52)
|Occupation(s)||Singer, actress, songwriter, photographer|
Anna Myrra Malmberg (born December 20, 1966 in Farsta) is a Swedish singer, actress, songwriter, and photographer.
Anna Myrra Malmberg was born in the Stockholm suburb of Farsta, and spent her childhood in Minneapolis, Minnesota and her teenage years in Stockholm, Sweden. She graduated the Stockholm High School of Music and immediately embarked upon a theatrical career. Early on she took on roles such as "Maria" in West Side Story, "Hodel" in Fiddler on the Roof and "Jemima" in Cats, but also straight acting roles such as "Poppy" in Noises Off.
In London's West End where she was cast as "Christine" in Phantom of the Opera by Hal Prince. Malmberg also played "Cosette" in Les Misérables, "Estella" in Great Expectations and "The Narrator" in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. She caught the attention of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and joined the cast of The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber in St Paul's Cathedral and elsewhere. Malmberg also starred in the BBC's Royal Variety Show broadcast from London's Palladium Theatre, BBC's Blue Peter, GMTV and the BBC series Showstoppers.
Other roles include "Eva Perón" in Evita at the Gothenburg Opera, "Emma Carew" in Jekyll and Hyde at Stockholm's China Theatre and "Maria" in West Side Story at the Rome Opera in Italy and the Gothenburg Opera, Sweden.
Malmberg's Swedish TV credits span from drama production "Fallet Paragon" over popular entertainment shows such as "Allsång på Skansen", "Go'kväll", "Söndagsöppet" and "Så ska det låta" to "Celebrity Jeopardy" (which she won) and participating in "Melodifestivalen" (Eurovision Song Contest). She has also performed as a special guest star in Russia's own Eurovision in the early 1990s to 80 million viewers.
Her discography includes an intimate and personal look at Stephen Sondheim's music on "Myrra Malmberg Sings Sondheim: What Can You Lose", a Lloyd Webber's music accompanied by a string quartet on "Myrra Malmberg Sings Lloyd Webber: Unexpected", a handful of bossa nova albums especially successful throughout Asia, the singer/songwriter album "Serendipity," plus various cast albums and soundtracks. She has been awarded a Grammy.
Malmberg's latest recording is a classical crossover production titled "Another World". Together with the Norrköping Symphony Orchestra and internationally renowned conductor Paul Bateman she explores the musical territory between the classical and popular music genres.
Malmberg has lent her voice to a long list of Disney characters in their Swedish incarnations, including "Princess Jasmine" in Aladdin, "Ariel" in The Little Mermaid, "Wendy" in Peter Pan, "Megara" in Hercules and "Norma Jean" in Happy Feet.
She has written songs and lyrics for other recording artists and has translated lyrics and scripts into Swedish from English, French and Danish, among them "Jekyll and Hyde - the Musical" for Malmö Opera.
Her photography includes portraits and album covers for various recording artists such as Benny Andersson, Berndt Rosengren, and The Sweet Jazz Trio. Malmberg has also held solo exhibits of her work.
Selected stage performances
- 2008 - Jekyll and Hyde, "Emma Carew" The China Theatre, Stockholm
- 2006 - West Side Story, "Maria" The China Theatre
- 2005 - Myrra & Helen - Bit by Bit, Riksteatern
- 2003 - Myrra & Helen - Bit by Bit, The Malmö Opera
- 2002 - Evita, "Eva Perón" Cirkus, Stockholm
- 2001 - Evita, "Eva Perón" The Gothenburg Opera
- 2000 - One Touch of Kurt Weill, Theater Kilen in Kulturhuset, Stockholm
- 2000 - West Side Story, "Maria" Teatro dell'Opera, Rom
- 2000 - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, "Narrator" W&M, UK
- 1999 - West Side Story, "Maria" The Gothenburg Opera
- 1997 - The Phantom of the Opera, "Christine" Her Majesty's Theatre, London
- 1995 - Les Misérables, "Cosette" The Palace Theatre, London
- 1994 - Great Expectations, "Estella" Apollo, London
- 1994 - The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber, St Paul's Cathedral, London
- 1993 - The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber, Cirkusbygningen, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1992 - Noises Off, "Poppy" Theatre Folkan, Stockholm
- 1990 - Fiddler on the Roof, "Hodel" Stockholms Stadsteater & Riksteatern
- 2010 - Toy Story 3, "Mom" Disney
- 2008 - Kiki's Delivery Service, "Mrs Osono" Studio Ghibli
- 2008 - Deep Sea, "Narrator" IMAX
- 2008 - The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning, "Ariel" Disney
- 2007 - Happy Feet, "Norma Jean" Warner Brothers
- 2006 - Underdog, "Polly" Disney
- 2005 - The Emperor's New Groove 2: Kronk's New Groove, "Miss Birdwell" Disney
- 2005 - Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus, "Brietta" Universal Pictures
- 2003 - Beauty and the Beast's Enchanted Christmas, "Angelique" Disney
- 2002 - Peter Pan: Back to Neverland, "Wendy" Disney
- 2000 - The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea, "Ariel" Disney
- 1999 - The Magic Sword: Quest for Camelot, "Kayley" Warner Brothers
- 1999 - Mary Poppins, "Mary Poppins" Disney
- 1997 - Hercules, "Megara" Disney
- 1997 - 101 Dalmatians, "Anita" Disney
- 1995 - The Return of Jafar, "Princess Jasmine" Disney
- 1994 - Aladdin, "Princess Jasmine" Disney
- 1994 - Fallet Paragon, "Ulrika" Swedish Television Drama
- 1993 - Peter Pan, "Wendy" Disney
- 2011 - Another World, Warner Music
- 2007 - Bossa Volym 2, Arietta Discs
- 2007 - Bossa Volym 1, Arietta Discs
- 2006 - Bossa Kiss Pop, Kang & Music
- 2003 - Sweet Bossa, Spice of Life Records
- 2004 - Serendipity, BMG
- 1999 - Julia, Musikverkstan
- 1997 - Unexpected: Myrra Malmberg Sings Lloyd Webber, Arietta Discs
- 1995 - What Can You Lose: Myrra Malmberg Sings Sondheim, Arietta Discs
Cast recording & soundtracks, including
2009 - Bröderna Lejonhjärta, Naxos
- 2009 - Disney: En magisk värld, Egmont
- 2001 - Evita, Swedish cast, BMG
- 1997 - Hercules - Swedish soundtrack, Buena Vista
- 1995 - Great Expectations - Highlights Cast Recording, TER records
- 1994 - Aladdin: The Return of Jafar - Swedish soundtrack, Buena Vista
- 1993 - Aladdin - Swedish soundtrack, Buena Vista
- 2010 - 100 Moments Lounge
- 2005 - Svenska Musikalfavoriter
Guest Appearances, including
- 2005 - My Rubber Soul/Peter Nordahl Trio, BMG
- 1998 - Easy Listening för Masochister/Carl-Johan Vallgren, Twin
- Sveriges befolkning 1980: Malmberg, Anna Margareta
- Official website
- archives: Dagens Nyheter, Svenska Dagbladet, Aftonbladet, Expressen, SydSvenska Dagbladet etc.