Mysterious Mr. Moto
|Mysterious Mr. Moto|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Norman Foster|
|Produced by||Sol M. Wurtzel|
|Screenplay by||Philip MacDonald
|Based on||Mr. Moto
by John P. Marquand
|Music by||Samuel Kaylin|
|Edited by||Norman Colbert|
|Distributed by||Twentieth Century-Fox|
Mysterious Mr. Moto, produced in 1938 by Twentieth Century Fox, is the fifth in a series of eight films starring Peter Lorre as Mr. Moto. The film is based on the character of Mr. Moto created by John P. Marquand, from an original screenplay by Philip MacDonald and Norman Foster.
It was originally known as Mysterious Mr. Moto of Devil's Island.
The film opens with a daring escape from the French penal colony on Devil’s Island. Mr. Moto, pretending to be Ito Matsuka, a Japanese murderer, is in the company of Paul Brissac, who belongs to a group of assassins. Brissac changes his name to Romero when they arrive in London and Moto stays on as his houseboy.
Moto then uncovers a plot to assassinate pacifist industrialist Anton Darvak.
- Peter Lorre as Mr. Kentaro Moto
- Mary Maguire as Ann Richman
- Henry Wilcoxon as Anton Darvak
- Erik Rhodes as David Scott-Frensham
- Harold Huber as Ernst Litmar
- Leon Ames as Paul Brissac (alias Romero)
- Forrester Harvey as George Higgins
- Fredrik Vogeding as Gottfried Brujo
- Lester Matthews as Sir Charles Murchison
- John Rogers as Sniffy
- Karen Sorrell as Lotus Liu
During filming Peter Lorre, as Moto, impersonated a seventy-year-old German painter.
Home Video Release
- Think Fast, Mr. Moto
- Thank You, Mr. Moto
- Mr. Moto's Gamble
- Mr. Moto Takes a Chance
- Mr. Moto's Last Warning
- Mr. Moto in Danger Island
- Mr. Moto Takes a Vacation
- The Return of Mr. Moto
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD: RKO and Cantor Negotiating for Comedian to Star on Percentage Basis MGM GETS WIMAN SHOW Acquires Rights to 'I Married an Angel'--New Mr. Moto Film Opens Today Picture for Bing Crosby Of Local Origin Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] September 17, 1938: 20.
- NEWS OF THE SCREEN: George Arliss Will Appear in 'Suez' at 20th CenturyFox-Donald O'Connor Gets Role in Crosby Film Other Items at Fox Coast Scripts Of Local Origin Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 12 Mar 1938: 13.
- RICHARD DIX CAST FOR 'GROUND CREW': To Star in Picture Which RKO Will Make One of Its More Impressive Productions DICK POWELL GETS ROLE Will Appear in 'The Hottentot'-'Start Cheering' Opens at Rialto Here This Morning Frances Farmer Replaced Coast Scripts Of Local Origin Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 16 Mar 1938: 21.
- In Hollywood With HEDDA HOPPER. The Washington Post (1923-1954) [Washington, D.C] 07 Apr 1938: X26.
- Age Moto 40 Years In 20 Minutes The Washington Post (1923-1954) [Washington, D.C] 08 May 1938: TT4.
- Mysterious Mr. Moto at the Internet Movie Database
- Mysterious Mr. Moto at AllMovie
- Mysterious Mr. Moto at the TCM Movie Database
- Mysterious Mr. Moto at the American Film Institute Catalog
|This article about a mystery film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|