The Mystery Spot is a small area (150 Ft in diameter)in the coastal redwoods of Santa Cruz where laws of gravity and physics seem to be broken.
Different presentations include height changes on level surfaces, compasses that cannot find true north, and momentum changes.
There are many different theories as to why the strange effects of the mystery spot are occuring. However, despite thousands of visitors, university professors, and television crews there have been no conclusive results as to the true cause of the effects.
Some people believe that the mystery spot lies on a convergence of the sacred geometry of the Earths electromagnetic field. This convergence is responsible for the extreme energy levels in the area.
Some people believe that the Mystery Spot is a gravity hill. The illusion experienced by visitors results from the oddly tilted environment as well as standing on a tilted floor. Inside the tilted room of the Mystery Spot, misperceptions of the height and orientation of objects occur.
Even when people are standing outside on a level ground, the slant of the building in the background causes misperceptions as we judge the height of people using the slant of the roof rather than the true horizon. These misperceptions create optical illusions, but do not completely account for the strange effects.
- Shimamura, A. P. & Prinzmetal, W. (1999). "The Mystery Spot Illusion andts Relation to Other Visual Illusions". Psychological Science 10 (6): 501–507. doi:[http://dx.doi.org/10.1111%2F1467-9280.00196 10.1111/1467-9280.00196.]
- Mystery Spot official website (California)
- St. Ignace Mystery Spot (Michigan)
- Video Tour of the Mystery Spot (California)
- Mystery Spot explained (SandlotScience.com) - this site contains explanation about how Mystery Spots work, including a list of mystery spots
- Further article explaining the illusion (Berkeley.edu)