Mythimna straminea, the southern wainscot, is a moth of the family Noctuidae. The species was first described by Georg Friedrich Treitschke in 1825. It is found in the western parts of the Palearctic ecozone, including Morocco, Europe, Turkey, the Caucasus, Israel and Lebanon.
Technical description and variation
The wingspan is 32 to 40 millimetres (1.3 to 1.6 in). Forewing pale ochreous with slight dark dusting and a faint reddish tinge; veins finely defined by brown streaks, which are also distinct in the intervals; a diffuse brown shade below median vein; outer dots on veins 2 and 5 only; hindwing whitish ochreous, grey tinged along middle from base, with a postmedian line of dark grey dashes on veins. Three distinct aberrations are mentioned by Tutt, all apparently British; obsoleta Tutt, a very rare pale form, with all the dots of forewing absent, the median nervure pure white, and the hindwing white without dots; in rufolinea Tutt the colouration is bright rufous, so that the forewing appears to consist of alternate fine lines of red and white; lastly in nigrostriata Tutt the colouration is blackish, the wing appearing to be a succession of black and white lines; the shade beneath median vein is almost black, and the hindwing is much darker; the majority of these darker forms are males.
The moth flies from June to August depending on the location.
- Seitz, A. Ed., 1914 Die Großschmetterlinge der Erde, Verlag Alfred Kernen, Stuttgart Band 3: Abt. 1, Die Großschmetterlinge des palaearktischen Faunengebietes, Die palaearktischen eulenartigen Nachtfalter, 1914
- Robinson, Gaden S.; Ackery, Phillip R.; Kitching, Ian J.; Beccaloni, George W.; Hernández, Luis M. (2010). "Search the database - introduction and help". HOSTS - A Database of the World's Lepidopteran Hostplants. Natural History Museum, London.
- Waring, Paul & Townsend, Martin (2006). Nachtvlinders, veldgids met alle in Nederland en België voorkomende soorten. Baarn. (in Dutch)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mythimna straminea.|
- Kimber, Ian. "73.294 BF2197 Southern Wainscot Mythimna straminea (Treitschke, 1825)". UKMoths. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- Savela, Markku. "Mythimna straminea (Treitschke, 1825)". Lepidoptera and Some Other Life Forms. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- Lepiforum e.V.
- De Vlinderstichting. (in Dutch)