"Honra e Labor" (Latin)
"Honor and work"
|State||Rio Grande do Sul|
|• Mayor||Armando Carlos Roos (PP)|
|• Total||361.67 km2 (139.64 sq mi)|
|Elevation||514 m (1,686 ft)|
|• Density||0.044/km2 (0.11/sq mi)|
The city's current territory was only explored and occupied when Portuguese descendants established their farms on the place, in the second decade of the 19th century. By the end of the 19th century, families of German immigrants also occupied the southern part of the territory, in 1824. In 1949, the first Dutch families arrived to the town, making the city one of the starting points of the Dutch immigration on southern Brazil.
There is no exact information of the name's origins, but there are two theories: the abundance of the Dasyphyllum spinescens plant, which name is "don't touch me" in Portuguese; or the establishment of the farm "Fazenda Não-Me-Toque", founded in July 20 of 1885.
Because of the constant humiliation the citizens of the city suffered because of the name, it was renamed as Campo Real (Royal Field) on December 1971, until it was changed back after a plebiscite in April 1977.
Não-Me-Toque is located in the region of the Planalto Médio, in the micro-region of the Alto Jacuí, Rio Grande do Sul. It is 471 km (292 mi) away from the coast (or the nearest coastal city). It is neighbored by the city of Carazinho on the north (the largest city nearby), Lagoa dos Três Cantos on the south, Santo Antônio do Planalto on the east and Colorado on the west. It is 280 km (173 mi) away from the state's capital, Porto Alegre.
- "Histórico - Não-Me-Toque - Prefeitura Municipal". Não-Me-Toque - Prefeitura Municipal (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "Origem do Nome - Não-Me-Toque - Prefeitura Municipal". Não-Me-Toque - Prefeitura Municipal (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- Carpinejar, Fabrício (2012). "A cidade que defende o nome". Beleza interior: uma viagem poética pelo Rio Grande do Sul (in Portuguese). Brazil: Arquipélago. ISBN 9788560171286.
- "Prefeito de Não-Me-Toque é investigado após denúncia de assédio sexual a servidoras". GaúchaZH (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "Distância entre a cidade de Não-Me-Toque RS e São Lourenço do Sul RS". ROTAMAPAS.COM.BR (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "Município de Não-Me-Toque". www.cidade-brasil.com.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "Localização - Não-Me-Toque - Prefeitura Municipal". Não-Me-Toque - Prefeitura Municipal (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-04-18.
|This geographical article relating to Rio Grande do Sul is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|