Nélida Piñon (born May 3, 1937) is a Brazilian author and professor.
Her first novel was Guia-Mapa de Gabriel Arcanjo (The Guidebook of Archangel Gabriel), written in 1961, it concerns a protagonist discussing Christian doctrine with her guardian angel. In the 1970s she became noted for erotic novels A casa de paixão (The House of Passion) and A força do destino (The Force of Destiny), written in 1977.
In 1984 she perhaps had her greatest success with A Republica dos Sonhos, English translation The Republic of Dreams. The work involves generations of a family from Galicia who emigrated to Brazil. This relates to her own family's experience.
She is a former President of Academia Brasileira de Letras (Brazilian Academy of Letters).
|Library resources about
|By Nélida Piñon|
- Guia-Mapa de Gabriel Arcanjo (The Guidebook of Gabriel Arcanjo) (1961)
- Fundador (Founders) (pre-1971)
- A Casa da Paixão (The House of Passion) (1972)
- A força do destino (The Force of Destiny) (1977)
- The Republic of Dreams, tr. Helen Lane, University of Texas Press (1991), ISBN 0-292-77050-2
- A doce cançao de Caetana (The Sweet Song of Caetana) (1987)
- I love my husband.
- Big-Bellied Cow
- O Pão de Cada Dia
- Walmap Prize, 1970, for her historical novel, ´Fundador´ (Founders)
- Mario de Andrade Prize, 1973, from the Association of Arts Critics in São Paulo for her novel, "A casa de paixão".
- Brazilian Writers’ Union Prize, 1987.
- FIL Award, 1995.
- Menéndez Pelayo International Prize, 2003
- Prince of Asturias Award, 2005