Nénette and Boni
|Nénette and Boni|
|French||Nénette et Boni|
|Directed by||Claire Denis|
|Edited by||Yann Dedet|
After the death of his mother, Boni (Grégoire Colin) moves his friends into her house and begins working selling pizzas. He entertains violent sexual fantasies about a baker (Valeria Bruni Tedeschi) who lives nearby. He is visited by his younger sister Nénette (Alice Houri), whom he is estranged from, who reveals that she is pregnant and moves into his home against his wishes.
Reluctantly, Boni begins to take his sister to doctor's appointments where they learn it is too late for her to have an abortion. As Boni gradually warms to the idea of being an uncle, Nénette looks into having a Jane Doe birth which will allow her to give birth anonymously and have the child adopted immediately. However, after Boni insults her for considering the option she attempts to abort the child at home, passing out before being rescued by Boni.
At the hospital Nénette bans Boni from the birth of her child, but he returns later, armed with a gun, and kidnaps his nephew, bringing him home to take care of him.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 85% based on 13 reviews, with a weighted average rating of 7.3/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 70 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Roger Ebert gave the film 3 out of 4 stars, calling it "one of those movies that is saturated with sensuality but not with explicit detail." Derek Elley of Variety wrote, "In a change of tack from her previous pics, Denis adopts a patchwork of styles that gives the movie an irreal, highly metaphysical flavor."
|Award||Year of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Locarno Festival||1996||Golden Leopard||Nénette and Boni||Won|||
|Best Actor||Grégoire Colin||Won|
|Best Actress||Valeria Bruni Tedeschi||Won|
|Special Mention: Prize of the Ecumenical Jury||Nénette and Boni||Won|
|Independent Spirit Awards||1998||Best International Film||Nénette and Boni||Nominated|||
- "Nénette et Boni". AlloCine. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- Swihart, Stanton. "Nenette et Boni [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] - Tindersticks". AllMusic. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "Nenette and Boni (Nénette et Boni)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "Nenette and Boni". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- Ebert, Roger (28 November 1997). "Nenette Et Boni". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- Elley, Derek (26 August 1996). "Nenette and Boni". Variety. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "1996: 49th Locarno Festival". Locarno Festival. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "History Results". Independent Spirit Awards. Archived from the original on 1 September 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2020.