TGD Intermedia SA (Switzerland) (97%) |
Népszava Egyesület (3%)
|Publisher||Népszava Lapkiadó Kft.|
|Founded||20 May 1877|
Social democracy |
127 Thököly út |
Budapest 1146, Hungary
History and profile
During the period of the Hungarian People's Republic between 1948 and 1989, it was the official newspaper of Hungarian trade unions. In 1990 it was restored and belonged to the Central Council of Hungarian Trade Unions until 2002. Later it was privatized and for a brief period belonged to an advertising company known as ESMA. It is currently owned by its staff and relies on donations for funding.
The circulation of Népszava was 222,000 copies in January 1989 and 181,000 copies in January 1991. The paper had a circulation of 135,000 copies in July 1992 and 102,000 copies in March 1993. Its circulation was 80,000 copies in 1998. The paper had a circulation of 31,742 copies in 2009, making it the sixth most read daily in the country. The circulation further declined to 10,522 copies by 2016. 
- Editors in chief
- Viktor Külföldi (from 1877)
- Ernő Garami (1898–1918)
- Árpád Szakasits (1939–1944, from 1945)
- Anna Kéthly (1957–1964)
- Writers, publicists
- Endre Ady
- György Faludy
- Ferenc Fejtő
- Gyula Illyés
- Sándor Jemnitz, music critic (1924–1950)
- Attila József
- Margit Kaffka
- Gyula Kállai
- Lajos Kassák
- Anna Kéthly
- Dezső Kosztolányi
- Zsigmond Kunfi, deputy chief editor (from 1907)
- Géza Losonczy
- Miklós Radnóti
- "Communicating Europe: Hungary Manual" (PDF). European Stability Initiative. December 2010. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Marina Popescu; Gábor Tóka (2000). "Campaign Effects in the 1994 and 1998 Parliamentary Elections in Hungary" (Conference paper). ECPR. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Hungary’s media landscape - print media"
- Péter Bajomi-Lázár. "The Business of Ethics, the Ethics of Business" (PDF). Centrul pentru Jurnalism Independent. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- Mihály Gálik; Beverly James (1999). "Ownership and control of the Hungarian press". The Public. 6 (2). Retrieved 12 November 2014.