Limfjordsbroen, the bridge linking Nørresundby with Aalborg over the Limfjord
|Time zone||Central Europe Time (UTC+1)|
Nørresundby is a city in Aalborg Municipality, north of Limfjorden, in Vendsyssel, in Denmark. The urban area has a population of 21,761 (1 January 2014). It is located just north of Aalborg, which lies south of Limfjorden. Statistically its own urban area since 2006, it is often still considered part of Aalborg, sometimes the name Greater Aalborg (Stor-Aalborg) is used to describe the concept.
|Source: Historical population from 1787-2009 |
In 1865 a pontoon bridge by the name of Christian IX´s pontoon bridge was built. Six years later in 1871 a railroad bridge was built, which still stands today. In 1933 the pontoon bridge was removed and a new bridge, called the Limfjords bridge (Limfjordsbroen), was built in its place. Five years later on 29 May 1938 Aalborg Airport opened. Through 1958-1960 the Limfjords bridge was expanded and in 1969 the Limfjords tunnel (Limfjordstunnelen) east of Nørresundby was opened. There have for several years been spoken about adding a third connection over the Limfjord although no direct action have been taken.
Nørresundby is served by Lindholm railway station, located in the district of Lindholm in the western part of the city. Lindholm station is located on the Vendsyssel Line between Aalborg and Frederikshavn. It offers direct InterCity services to Copenhagen, regional train services to Aalborg and Frederikshavn, and is the northern terminus of the Aalborg Commuter Rail service to Skørping.
- BEF44: Population 1st January, by urban areas database from Statistics Denmark
- "Herre-DS, Pulje 3". dbu.dk (in Danish). Danish Football Association. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Danmarks købstæder: Nørresundby - Historiske befolkningstal
- Statistikbanken Tabel BEF4A
- "Contact Us." North Flying. Retrieved on 15 December 2011. "North Flying's headquarters are located in Aalborg Airport." and "North Flying A/S North Flying Terminal Aalborg Airport DK - 9400 Nørresundby Denmark"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nørresundby.|