N8 Research Partnership
|Type||Consortium of United Kingdom-based universities|
|Legal status||Private company limited by shares|
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
University of Manchester
University of Sheffield
University of York
|Vice-Chancellors of the member universities|
The N8 Research Partnership is a partnership created in 2007 of the eight research-intensive universities in Northern England - Durham, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield and York. The N8 Research Partnership aims to maximise the impact of this research base by identifying and co-ordinating powerful research teams and collaborations across the North of England. Collectively, the N8 universities undertake more than £650 million of research income per annum and employ over 18,000 academic staff, thus forming the largest research-pooling partnership ever undertaken in the UK. The N8 Research Partnership also works closely with industry.
The N8 Research Partnership initially focused on five areas of research: Ageing and Health, Energy, Molecular Engineering, Regenerative Medicine and Water. The themes were chosen to build on existing research within the partnership which had the potential for economic and social benefit.
N8 has become a leader in equipment sharing, having launched a project to map the research equipment across universities in the North, and has published a toolkit and a white paper to point the way to greater collaboration between universities and improved research links with industry. A toolkit, and database, have been developed to advance this area nationally.
The N8's key aim of fostering greater collaboration with industry was boosted in January 2012 when the N8 Industry Innovation Forum launched. There have to date been five IIF meetings focused on topics where there is significant cross-sector, industry-led demand for new insights and research capability on topics such as advanced materials, Food Security, and Active and Healthy Ageing. New collaboration ideas emerging from these have generated £10m of external funding including £3m from industry partners.
Another development was the launch of the N8 High Performance Computing facility in March 2013. This provides industry and university researchers with access to high performance computing alongside consultancy and e-infrastructure training. At its peak the HPC is capable of performing 110 trillion operations per second, the equivalent of half a million iPads.
The N8 continues to drive innovation opportunities across the North of England, coordinating proposals and fostering new innovation ideas.
The eight universities in the N8 Research Partnership are all located in Northern England. They represent all of the pre-1992 universities in the region except for the University of Hull. Five of the members are civic universities founded as university colleges in the second half of the nineteenth century, two are collegiate campus plate glass universities founded in the 1960s, and one is a pre-Victorian collegiate university founded in the first half of the nineteenth century. They range in size from around 13,000 students to just under 40,000, and in annual income from a few hundred million pounds to over a billion. Seven of the N8 universities (all except Lancaster) are members of the Russell Group, and all were in the top 25 of Research Fortnight's research power table based on the results of the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (where Lancaster was the highest ranked non-Russell Group institution).
Between them, the N8 universities educate over 190,000 students, including 17,000 studying for a research degree, and have a combined research income of over £1.2 billion. A report in 2016, commissioned by the group, demonstrated that they bring in £12.2 billion to the regional economy each year and generate 119,000 jobs across the North of England.
|University||Undergraduate students (2016/17)||Postgraduate students (2016/17)||Total students (2016/17)||Total academic staff (2014/15)||Total income
(2014/15, £ millions)
(2014/15, £ millions)
|North East England|
|North West England|
|University of Liverpool||20,940||6,135||27,070||2,720||511||102|
|University of Manchester||27,895||12,590||40,490||4,945||1,010||262|
|Yorkshire and the Humber|
|University of Leeds||24,345||8,955||33,300||3,290||640||152|
|University of Sheffield||20,005||8,710||28,715||3,090||578||158|
|University of York||13,310||4,595||17,900||1,675||340||61|
- "N8 Limied". Companies House. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Partnership, N8 Research. "About Us - N8 Research Partnership".
- Niven, Rosie (20 March 2015). "Peter Simpson of N8: 'deep collaboration is now the norm' - Efficiency Exchange".
- "Launch of N8 Research Centres".
- Partnership, N8 Research. "Research Community: Industrial Biotechnology for the Bioeconomy - N8 Research Partnership".
- Partnership, N8 Research. "Research Theme: Urban & Community Transformation - N8 Research Partnership".
- Partnership, N8 Research. "Policing Research - N8 Research Partnership".
- Partnership, N8 Research. "Research Community: Digital Creativity - N8 Research Partnership".
- Partnership, N8 Research. "Research Theme: AgriFood - N8 Research Partnership".
- "N8, DECEMBER 2014, SIR ALAN LANGLANDS, INTERVIEW". www.gavaghancommunications.com.
- Partnership, N8 Research. http://www.n8research.org.uk/news/2015/3/multi-million-pound-funding-secured-for-food-security-research-programme. Missing or empty
- Partnership, N8 Research. http://www.n8research.org.uk/news/2015/2/major-funding-announced-for-n8-policing-research-partnership. Missing or empty
- "Minister announces funding award".
- Partnership, N8 Research. "N8 Efficiency - N8 Research Partnership".
- "N8 Equipment". N8 Equipment.
- Partnership, N8 Research. http://www.n8research.org.uk/economic-impact/n8-efficiency/equipment-sharing-toolkit/. Missing or empty
- Partnership, N8 Research. "N8IIF - N8 Research Partnership".
- "N8 HPC showcased to boost collaboration with industry". primeurmagazine.com.
- Partnership, N8 Research. "N8 High Performance Computing - N8 Research Partnership".
- "N8HPC". n8hpc.org.uk.
- Partnership, N8 Research. "All News Archives - N8 Research Partnership". N8 Research Partnership.
- "University Research Excellence Framework 2014 – the full rankings". The Guardian. 17 December 2014.
- "The Power of 8". N8 Research Partnership. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "2016/17 Students by HE provider, level, mode and domicile" (CSV). Higher Education Statistics Agency. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "2014/115 Staff by HE provider". Higher Education Statistics Agency. Archived from the original (XLSX) on 18 March 2016. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "What's the Balance? UK Institutions' Finances, 2014-15" (PDF). Times Higher Education. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 20 August 2016.