|Edmonton LRT station|
|Owned by||City of Edmonton|
|Opened||September 6, 2015|
|Closed||April 28, 2019 (temporary)|
|Electrified||600 V DC|
NAIT station is an Edmonton Light Rail Transit station in Edmonton, Alberta. It serves the Metro Line. The station will be temporarily located north of Princess Elizabeth Avenue, on the south side of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology's swimming pool and hockey arena wing, before a permanent station is ultimately built after a long-term comprehensive land use plan of the Edmonton City Centre Airport lands are finalized. NAIT station is the northern terminus of the Metro Line.
The station is expected to be closed for four months from April 28 to August 30, 2019 due to construction on the Capital Line which shares track with southern sections of the Metro Line. Because of delays that the construction is expected to cause, Edmonton Transit plans to operate five car trains on the Metro Line. Since the NAIT station island platform is only 3 cars long, these larger trains will be unable to fit alongside the platform.
Preliminary engineering of the line was completed July 2009 and construction of the phase from the MacEwan station to NAIT began in the summer of 2011. The station was supposed to open in 2014. However, due to delays it opened on September 6, 2015.
NAIT Station is an at-grade station with a centre platform. Unlike the other LRT stations in Edmonton, the current platform at NAIT Station will only accommodate three-car trains. This is because it is a temporary station.
Around the station
- Alberta Aviation Museum
- Edmonton City Centre Airport
- Kingsway Mall
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Spruce Avenue
- Ramsay, Caley (September 6, 2015). "After lengthy delay, Metro Line LRT opens to riders". Global News Edmonton. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "SD160 Light Rail Vehicle" (PDF). Siemens Transportation Systems, Inc. May 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 26, 2010. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "2017 LRT Passenger Count Report" (PDF). Edmonton Transit System. March 2018. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "North LRT Fact Sheet" (PDF). City of Edmonton. February 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 1, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "North LRT Stations". City of Edmonton. Archived from the original on June 16, 2011. Retrieved October 20, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "North LRT to NAIT". City of Edmonton. Archived from the original on June 16, 2011. Retrieved February 6, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Heidenreich, Phil (March 25, 2019). "City of Edmonton to suspend LRT services to NAIT campus for 4 months". Global News. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- "Metro Line Delay FAQ" (PDF). City of Edmonton. October 8, 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 13, 2014. Retrieved October 8, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter