NASA Chief Scientist
The Chief Scientist is the most senior science position at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). The Chief Scientist serves as the principal advisor to the NASA Administrator in science issues and as interface to the national and international science community, ensuring that NASA research programs are scientifically and technologically well founded and are appropriate for their intended applications.
The Chief Scientist position was created to advise the NASA Administrator on budget, strategic objectives, and current content of NASA's science programs. The Chief Scientist works closely with appropriate representatives of the NASA Strategic Enterprises and the Field Centers, as well as advisory committees and the external community. The Chief Scientist represents the Agency's scientific objectives and accomplishments to other federal agencies, industry, academia, other government organizations, the international community, and the general public.
The Chief Scientist chairs the NASA Science Council, a forum for discussion of the Agency policies, practices, and issues from the viewpoint of the science disciplines.
The NASA chief scientist position was discontinued in September 2005 and many of the functions moved to be within the Science Mission Directorate (SMD).
The position was restored in 2011.
List of Chief Scientists
- Dr. Frank B. McDonald. 1982 to 1987
- Dr. Noel Hinners, 1987 to 1989
- Dr. France A. Córdova, 1993 to 1996 
- Dr. Kathie L. Olsen, May 24, 1999, to 2002 
- Dr. Shannon Lucid, 2002 to September 2003
- Dr. John M. Grunsfeld, September 2003 to 2004 
- Dr. James B. Garvin, October 2004 to September 2005 
- Dr. Waleed Abdalati, January 2011 to December 2012 
- Dr. Ellen Stofan, August 25, 2013, to December 2016
- "NASA - Dr. Waleed Abdalati, NASA Chief Scientist". Nasa.gov. Archived from the original on 2011-10-19. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Voyager Space Science Update Panelists". Goddard News. NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. November 5, 2003. Archived from the original on 2006-10-10. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 16, 2015. Retrieved March 3, 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Noel Hinners - NASA Watch". NASAWatch.com. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Vitello, Paul (September 11, 2014). "Noel W. Hinners, Voice for Scientific Research at NASA, Dies at 78". Retrieved January 9, 2018 – via NYTimes.com.
- Weil, Martin (September 9, 2014). "Noel Hinners, a top NASA official, dies at 78". Retrieved January 9, 2018 – via www.WashingtonPost.com.
- "NASA Technical Reports Server". Ntrs.nasa.gov. 2007-07-05. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- "Kathie L. Olsen Selected As Nasa Chief Scientist | Nasa | Find Articles At Bnet". Findarticles.com. 1999-05-19. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- ":: NASA Quest > Women of NASA ::". Quest.arc.nasa.gov. 1999-05-24. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- "NASA - Chief Scientist John M. Grunsfeld". Nasa.gov. 2007-11-22. Archived from the original on 2004-10-31. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- "NASA - Dr. James B. Garvin Chief Scientist". Nasa.gov. Archived from the original on 2006-10-13. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- Beutel, Allard (July 29, 2013). "NASA Welcomes New Chief Scientist". NASA.gov. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
|This space- or spaceflight-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|