NBA Live 09
|NBA Live 09|
Cover art featuring Tony Parker
|Developer(s)||EA Canada (PS3, Xbox 360)|
HB Studios (Wii, PSP, PS2)
NBA Live 09, sometimes called NBA Live 2009, is the 2008 installment in the NBA Live series, developed and published by Electronic Arts. The original release date was October 7, 2008. The game features Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs on the cover in most markets. The Wii version of the game, developed by HB Studios, is titled NBA Live 09 All-Play and launched under EA Sports' new All-Play brand exclusive to the platform. This was the final NBA Live game released for the PlayStation 2 and the Wii.
While Parker appears on the cover in the US and most international markets, some international versions feature players from those areas:
- UK and Ireland: Luol Deng
- Italy: Andrea Bargnani (also appeared on the Italian cover of NBA Live 08)
- Spain: Pau Gasol (has appeared on the Spanish cover of all versions since NBA Live 06)
Dynamic DNA is a new feature in NBA Live 09 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 2, though it is not available for the PlayStation Portable. It breaks down how a team scores, sets up offense and how individual players go about on offense. It also updates players accessories, haircuts, facial hair changes and shoes. It is updated daily through NBA Live 365. It has been claimed that this new feature adds a more realistic feel to the gameplay featured.
NBA LIVE 365
NBA Live 365 is an addition to the NBA Live franchise. An update is downloadable every three or four months, updating player trades/injured players, and is not updating rosters for the 2009-2010 season.
The gamer can replay previous games with the updated statistical data that recreates identical conditions including injuries, hot/cold streaks, tendencies and player DNA. If the game player does not have internet the gamer can still play games from the playoffs of the 2007-08 season.
This new two-man game mechanic lets you control both the ball handler and the screener, as you set screens and run two man plays, with on court instructions popping up to guide you through each play.
5-on-5 Online Play
Up to 5 players on each team for each starting position are user controlled. Club play allows your set team to play against other teams in a league type game as you gain rankings and move up divisions for each win. It is also possible to play on team play without a club.
A defender can be forced to step up and guess what the player will do next. Players can trigger the turbo button and use the right analog stick for ball-handling moves to fake out their defenders and create scoring opportunities.
This feature allows a player to stay with his opponent the whole way and cause a turnover or bad shot.
Signature Play Calling
An in-game play calling system has been introduced. Linked to LIVE 365, this feature will suggest authentic plays for NBA's stars to run on the court. The gamer can bring up plays by pressing a button and tendencies of the player successfully completing that move will be displayed. The players who will be shown on the play calling menu can be changed by changing it in the options menu e.g. if the gamer has Ben Wallace doing a post-up move, it can be changed to LeBron James doing an off-the-ball screen.
Expanded FIBA teams
There are now 24 FIBA teams compared to NBA Live 08, which only had 8. An international tournament using authentic FIBA rosters and teams is available.
The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions received "generally favorable reviews", while the PSP, PlayStation 2 and Wii versions received "mixed" reviews, according to video game review aggregator Metacritic. In Japan, Famitsu gave the game a score of three eights and one nine for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions; all four sevens for the PSP version; and two sevens, one six, and one seven for the PS2 version.
- Lloyd Banks feat. Juelz Santana - "Beamer, Benz, or Bentley"
- Usher - "Climax"
- Have Fun Teaching - "Weather Song"
- Beyoncé feat. Bun B & Slim Thug - "Check on It"
- Alicia Keys - "Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart"
- R. Kelly feat. Keri Hilson - "Number One"
- Kid Ink - "Hell & Back"
- DJ Khaled feat. Bryson Tiller & Rihanna - "Wild Thoughts"
- Teairra Mari feat. Jay-Z - "Make Her Feel Good"
- Cassidy feat. Jay-Z - "I'm a Hustla"
- Snoop Dogg - "I Wanna Rock"
- Young Jeezy feat. Akon - "Soul Survivor"
- DMX feat. Swizz Beatz - "Get It on the Floor"
- Missy Elliott - "Ching-a-Ling"
- Supernatural feat. Wildchild of Lootpack - "Victory"
- Papoose - "Born to Win"
- 50 Cent - "Many Men (Wish Death)"
- Smash Mouth - "All Star"
- E-40 feat. Young Jeezy, Chris Brown, French Montana, Red Cafe & Problem - "Function (Remix)"
- Tinashe feat. SchoolBoy Q - "2 On"
- Tech N9ne - "The Beast[disambiguation needed]"
- Pennywise - "Competition Song"
- Datarock - "True Stories[disambiguation needed]" 
- Zuniga, Todd (October 7, 2008). "NBA Live 09 (PS3, XBOX 360)". 1UP.com. Archived from the original on January 24, 2016. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Brian (October 15, 2008). "Famitsu review scores". Nintendo Everything. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- Bertz, Matt (November 2008). "NBA Live 2009 (PS3, X360): Live May Be Finding Its Stroke". Game Informer (187). Archived from the original on January 24, 2016. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Thomas, Aaron (October 16, 2008). "NBA Live 09 Review (PS3, X360)". GameSpot. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Berman, Steve (October 13, 2008). "GameSpy: NBA Live 09 (PS3, X360)". GameSpy. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "NBA Live 09 Review (PS3)". GameTrailers. October 30, 2008. Retrieved May 6, 2015.[dead link]
- Lafferty, Michael (October 6, 2008). "NBA Live 09 - PS3 - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on October 10, 2008. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Hopper, Steven (October 6, 2008). "NBA Live 09 - 360 - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on October 10, 2008. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Burk, Avi (October 23, 2008). "NBA Live 09 Review (PS2)". IGN. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Haynes, Jeff (October 7, 2008). "NBA Live 09 Review (PS3, X360)". IGN. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Burk, Avi (October 27, 2008). "NBA Live 09 Review (PSP)". IGN. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Bozon, Mark (October 14, 2008). "NBA Live 09 All-Play Review". IGN. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Govan, Andy (November 16, 2008). "NBA Live 09 All-Play (Wii) Review". NintendoLife. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "NBA Live 09 All-Play". Nintendo Power. 234: 104. November 2008.
- McCaffrey, Ryan (November 2008). "NBA Live 09". Official Xbox Magazine: 70. Archived from the original on October 10, 2008. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "Review: NBA Live 09 (PS3)". PlayStation: The Official Magazine: 88. November 2008.
- Lansdell, Chris (November 3, 2008). "NBA Live 09 (Xbox 360) Review". 411Mania. Archived from the original on January 24, 2016. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "NBA Live 09 for PlayStation 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "NBA Live 09 for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "NBA Live 09 for PSP Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "NBA Live 09 All-Play for Wii Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "NBA Live 09 for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Mihoerck, Dan (December 23, 2008). "Best of 2008 Dubious Honors". GameSpot. Retrieved May 6, 2015.