|Headquarters||San Mateo, California, USA|
|Young Song (CEO)|
Number of employees
NComputing is a desktop virtualization company that manufactures hardware and software to create virtual desktops (sometimes called zero clients or thin clients) which enable multiple users to simultaneously share a single operating system instance.
Founding the company
In 2003, Young Song, a former VP at eMachines, met German entrepreneur Klaus Maier (formerly CEO of hydrapark), who had spent more than ten years developing the core software on which NComputing is based. They formed a team to develop the complementary hardware in Korea, while the software was written in Poland and Russia. After they successfully launched the product and reached $10M revenue in two years, the two founders decided to move its headquarters to Silicon Valley. Stephen Dukker, former chairman of eMachines, joined NComputing in August 2006, to lead the company together.
Dukker introduced NComputing to venture capitalists and technology journalists in September 2006 at DEMOfall 06. By October 2006, NComputing had raised $8 million from Scale Venture Partners (formerly known as BA Venture Partners). In January 2008, the company raised a $28 million series B round of financing, led by Silicon Valley venture capital firm Menlo Ventures with participation from Scale Venture Partners and South Korea’s Daehong Technew Corp. In April 2012, the company raised a $21.8 million series C round of financing led by Questmark Partners with participation from existing investors. In 2017, original NComputing Co., Ltd, a Korean corporation, became the ultimate holding company for all other subsidiaries and had raised $6M from MDI VC (Telkom Indonesia VC in Jakarta), Pinnacle Ventures (Menlo Park, USA), and Bokwang Ventrues (Seoul, Korea) for accelerating South Asia region's growth and boost enterprise VDI software products.
The company was founded in 2003 and is the fastest growing desktop virtualization company in the world with over 20 million daily users in 140 countries. It has deals with 70,000 education and business organizations in 140 countries including 5,000 school districts in the United States. NComputing has shipped more than three million units overall, including 180,000 seats to provide one computing seat for every K–12 student in the country of Macedonia. NComputing sells its solutions through value-added resellers around the world. In 2016, the company added VERDE Enterprise VDI solution (originally developed by Virtual Bridge) by acquisition of assets from Verde Workspace, LLC in Austin, TX and enhanced its version from 7.x to 8.x after 1 year of integration work. As of 2017, the company has 100 employees worldwide.
Operating system support
Linux is supported through a version of vSpace Server for Linux software. Currently, NComputing offers support for Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04. This software is proprietary and requires a server-based license. There is a 7-day free trial period. The vSpace Server for Linux provides features like client session monitoring, optimized video playback and messaging service between the clients.
Windows is supported through a version of vSpace Server for Windows software. The supported versions of Windows include: Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, Windows XP SP3 (32-bit); Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Vista SP21(32-bit); Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows MultiPoint Server 2011, Windows 7 SP1 (both 32- and 64-bit), Windows 8 SP1 (64-bit), Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016. The vSpace Server software and hardware clients require registration after 30 days for product upgrade notification.
- InfoWorld's 2010 Green 15 Award
- Frost & Sullivan Green Excellence Award — Thin Clients 2008
- Gartner “Cool Vendor” — Client Computing 2008
- VAR Business Gold 5-Start Partner Program Winner 2008
- IT World Canada "Top 5 Business to Watch" 2008
- Red Herring Top 100 Startups in North America 2008
- Wall Street Journal Technology Innovation Award — Computing Systems 2007
- Silicon Valley Business Journal Emerging Technology — Green & Clean Finalist 2007
- NComputing, Inc.
- The Next Cheap Thing
- A lesson in technology sharing
- nComputing, Inc. (DEMO)
- NComputing gets $8M for low-cost computer workstations
- NComputing raises $28M to spread cheap computers to poor
- NComputing Passes Two Million Seat Milestone and Innovates with Breakthrough Virtual Desktops
- NComputing scores big Indian deal for thin-client computers
- All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops
- NComputing Readies Channel Push
- [conversation with NComputing HR representative]
- NComputing vSpace for Linux
- NComputing Operation System Support Matrix
- Andhra Pradesh overcomes resource limitations with virtual desktops
- Frost & Sullivan Recognizes NComputing Desktop Virtualization Solution for Green Computing Excellence; NComputing Virtual Desktops Can Cut Electricity Use by 95%
- NComputing Named "Cool Vendor" in Client Computing by Leading Analyst Firm
- NComputing, Inc.: NComputing Channel Partner Program
- Top 5 Vendors to Watch: NComputing
- Red Herring 100 Top Tech Startups in North America
- 2007 Technology Innovation Winners and Runners-Up
- Emerging tech award winners honored