NED University of Engineering and Technology
|Motto||Building a Better World for Tomorrow|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Sarosh Hashmat Lodi|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Colours||Blue, maroon,, amber|
The NED University of Engineering and Technology, is a public research university located in the urban area of Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. It is one of the oldest institution of higher learning in Pakistan.
Founded in 1922 to provide training to civil engineers working in building the Sukkur Barrage, the university came to its modern form after being established by the British government. The university is named for its benefactor, donor, and philanthropist, Nadirshaw Eduljee Dinshaw by the government. Besides its focus on science and engineering programmes, the university offers academic programmes in philosophy, humanities, and fine arts for undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral studies. The university is also a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.
 It is organized into six science faculties as well as associated research institutions affiliated with the university in Karachi.
Faculties and departments
The university offers graduate and post-graduate degrees in engineering and science disciplines
•University College of Engineering and Technology
•Faculty of Arts
•Faculty of Science
•University College of Marine Sciences
To provide low-cost educational and professional training to existing professionals, NED University established the NED Academy. The academy has two sections:
- Centre for Continuing Engineering Education (CCEE),
- Centre for Multidisciplinary Postgraduate Programmes (CMPP).
Although the main focus of the university had been on its teaching programs, the university has started M.Eng. by Research and PhD programs. The university publishes a research journal – NED University Journal of Research.
The university offers Need cum Merit scholarships and distinguished student scholarships for students securing top three positions in class. Most of these are provided by private foundations, NGOs, and Alumni.
- Elahi Bux Soomro: ex-Speaker of the National Assembly of Pakistan.
- Khurram Murad: Pakistani Islamic scholar
- Abdul Quayyum Khan Kundi, ex-President Pakistan Chamber of Commerce USA, businessmen, columnist
- Ashraf Habibullah, S.E. (B.S. 1969): co-creator of the first computer-based structural-engineering applications and Founder, President, and CEO of the structural-engineering software company Computers and Structures, Inc.
- Saeed Anwar: international cricketer, former captain of Pakistan cricket team.
- Ali Haider: musician, singer and actor.
- Syed Murad Ali Shah: chief minister of Sindh
- Rizwan Ahmed: Pakistan Administrative Service officer, Harvard University graduate
- Muhammad Raghib Hussain: COO/Co-founder Cavium Inc. USA - a leading provider of semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for enterprise, data center, cloud, wired and wireless networking. Mr. Hussain has 30 issued patents in the field of networking and security. He received a BS degree in Computer Systems Engineering from NED University in Karachi, Pakistan, and an MS degree in Computer Engineering from San Jose State University.
The university hosts musical events, sports events and IT events. Its IT event is ITEC (Information Technology Exhibition & Competition), organized by the students of university Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. It is an all Pakistan competition with the participation of almost all the major universities. Recently in December, NEDUET hosted DICE Energy 2014. Around 41 projects were registered in the exhibition. Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan was the chief guest.
- Jinnah Polytechnic Institute
- Dawood University of Engineering and Technology
- Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- List of Universities in Pakistan
- Google maps, Google maps. "Location and address of NED University". Google maps (Public domain). Google maps. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- NED Press. "University introduction". NED Press. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "ACU Members". ACU Members. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- NED Centre of Continuing Engineering Education
- NED Research Journal
- "List of Scholarships" (PDF). Neduet.edu.pk. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Search Results for Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors, Ashraf Habibullah". Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists. California Department of Consumer Affairs. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "ETABS receives "Top Seismic Product of the 20th Century" Award" (PDF). Press Release. Structure Magazine. 2006. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- Key Note Speaker Ashraf Habibullah, Biography (PDF). NEDAASC 2009 International Convention. Embassy Suites, Anaheim, California: NED Alumni Association of Southern California. 18 July 2009. p. 6. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "ITEC | Information Technology Exhibition and Competition – National Grand IT Event". Neditec.org.pk. 2012-07-06. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- DICE Foundation – NED University