NED University of Engineering and Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)|
|Motto||Building a Better World for Tomorrow|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. M. Afzal Haque|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Colours||Blue, Maroon,, Amber|
The NED University of Engineering and Technology, is a public research university located in the urban area of Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. It is one of the oldest institution of higher learning in Pakistan and is noted for its strong emphasis on higher learning in science and technology.
Founded in 1922 as a technical project to provide training to civil engineers working in building the Sukkur Barrage, the university came to its modern form after being established by the British government. The university is named for its benefactor, donor, and philanthropist, Nadirshaw Eduljee Dinshaw by the government. Besides its focus on science and engineering programmes, the university also offers wide range of academic programmes in philosophy, humanities, and fine arts for undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral studies. The university is also a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.
Primarily, its financial endowment and the scientific research is directed towards the development of the engineering, management, natural, and medical sciences. Organized into six science faculties as well as various associated research institutions affiliated with the university in Karachi.
Faculties and Departments
The university offers graduate and post-graduate degrees in engineering and science disciplines.
To provide cheap educational and professional in training to existing professionals, NED University established NED Academy. The academy has two sections:
- Centre for Continuing Engineering Education (CCEE),
- Centre for Multidisciplinary Postgraduate Programmes (CMPP).
Although the main focus of the university had been on its teaching programs, the university has started M.Eng. by Research and PhD programs. The university publishes a research journal – NED University Journal of Research. As of now university is lacking in scientific research and this is one of the main reasons for universities low ranking. Engr. Talha Shakil Mallick is the primarily research engineer successively as an extension innovator between Industry & Institute. However University is making headway and attempting all endeavors to create an inventive group of researchers so to take care of and satisfy the demand of industry. Toward the end of 2020 University is pointing that more than 50% of its personnel will be PhD. In the university's Computer Systems department, a research lab has been developed known as Koshish Foundation Research Lab.
The university offers Need cum Merit scholarships, and distinguished student scholarships for students securing top three positions in class. Most of these are provided by private foundations, NGOs, and Alumni.
- Elahi Bux Soomro: ex-Speaker of the National Assembly of Pakistan.
- Khurram Murad: Pakistani Islamic scholar
- Zaid Hamid (dropout) : Pakistani political commentator, currently serving 8 years in a Saudi prison.
- Abdul Quayyum Khan Kundi, ex-President Pakistan Chamber of Commerce USA, businessmen, columnist
- Ashraf Habibullah, S.E. (B.S. 1969): co-creator of the first computer-based structural-engineering applications and Founder, President, and CEO of the structural-engineering software company Computers and Structures, Inc.
- Saeed Anwar: International cricketer, former captain of Pakistan cricket team.
- Ali Haider: Musician, singer and actor.
- Farhat Ishtiaq: Writer, author and screenwriter, most recognised for her novel 'Humsafar'.
- Rashid Latif: International cricketer, former captain of Pakistan cricket team.
- Roland deSouza: consultant and activist.
The University also hosts events such as Musical events, Sports Events and IT events. Its famous IT event of Pakistan is ITEC (Information Technology Exhibition & Competition), it is an annual mega IT event organised by the students of university's Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. It is an all Pakistan competition with the participation of almost all the major universities, sending their skilled students with IT niche. Recently in December, NEDUET hosted DICE Energy 2014. Around 41 projects were registered in the exhibition. Dr.Abdul Qadeer Khan was the chief guest.
- Jinnah Polytechnic Institute
- Dawood University of Engineering and Technology
- Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- List of Universities in Pakistan
- Google maps, Google maps. "Location and address of NED University". Google maps (Public domain). Google maps. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- NED Press. "University introduction". NED Press. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "ACU Members". ACU Members. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "List of Scholarships" (PDF). Neduet.edu.pk. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- International Business Times, Saudi Arabia: Pakistan's controversial Zaid Hamid faces 1,000 lashes and 8 years in jail for criticising kingdom, by Ludovica Iaccino, 1 July 2015.
- "Search Results for Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors, Ashraf Habibullah". Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists. California Department of Consumer Affairs. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "ETABS receives "Top Seismic Product of the 20th Century" Award" (PDF). Press Release. Structure Magazine. 2006. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- Key Note Speaker Ashraf Habibullah, Biography (PDF). NEDAASC 2009 International Convention. Embassy Suites, Anaheim, California: NED Alumni Association of Southern California. 18 July 2009. p. 6. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "ITEC | Information Technology Exhibition and Competition - National Grand IT Event". Neditec.org.pk. 2012-07-06. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- http://dice.neduet.edu.pk. Missing or empty