NEPAD African Western and Southern Networks of Centres of Excellence in Water Sciences
Definition of centre of excellence by UNEP
Centres of Excellence are physical or virtual centres focused on specific issues. They concentrate existing capacity and resources to facilitate collaboration across disciplines and across organisations on long term programmes and projects of direct relevance to human needs and aspirations. By definition, centres of excellence are widely known for their work.
1. Framework of the initiative
Therefore, the NEPAD launched a specific programme for identifying and reinforcing Research and Development capacities in Africa through building regional networks of Centres of Excellence in water sciences. This program is in line with Africa’s Science and Technology Consolidated Plan of Action (CPA). Its specific goals for water sciences are (p 28 of the CPA):
- Improve conservation and utilization of the continent's water resources;
- Improve the quality and the quantity of water available to rural and urban households;
- Strengthen national and regional capacities for water resources management and reduce impacts of water related disasters;and
- Enlarge the range of technologies for water supply and improve access to affordable quality water.
Calls of interest have been launched, proposals have been evaluated in the Southern African region and Western African region in order to identify and thus appoint Centre of excellences in Water sciences. Two regional networks are set up since 2009. A number of members have been appointed but the network could be enlarged.
2. Southern African Centres of excellence Network
Coordinators of the Network is the University of Stellenbosh of South Africa.
- Stellenbosch (South Africa)
- International Center for Water Economics and Governance in Africa (Mozambique)
- KwaZulu-Natal University (South Africa)
- Western Cape University (South Africa)
- University of Malawi ( Malawi)
- University of Zambia ( Zambia)
- University of Botswana ( Botswana)
- The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research CSIR (South Africa)
- Polytechnic of Namibia (Namibia)
Last development on this network P9
3.Western African Centres of Excellence Network
The coordinator is the Doctoral School on water from University of Cheikh Anta Diop.
- University of Cheikh Anta Diop (Senegal)
- International Institute for water and Environmental engineering (Burkina)
- University Of Benin (Nigeria)
- National Water resources Institute (Nigeria)
- Kwame Nkrumah University for Sciences and Technology (Ghana)
- NEPAD, Centres of excellence in science and technology for Africa'sustainable development “Towards New Forms of Regional and Sub-Regional Networks” http://www.nepadst.org/doclibrary/pdfs/doc08_112003a.pdf
- NEPAD Agency “Consolidation Plan for Africa” 2006 pp72 ISBN 978-0-620-37633-4 http://www.nepadst.org/doclibrary/pdfs/ast_cpa_2007.pdf
- Munyaradzi Makoni "Southern Africa Links Water Research Expertise"29 December 2009, allAfrrica.com,http://allafrica.com/stories/200912310529.html