|Founded||April 10, 1961|
NERA Economic Consulting, Inc., or National Economic Research Associates, is an economic consulting firm founded in 1961. It was the first consulting firm dedicated to methodically applying microeconomic theory to litigation and regulatory matters. The firm applies econometric and statistical analysis to provide strategy, studies, reports, expert testimony, and policy recommendations for government authorities, law firms, and corporations.
The company is based in the United States and has offices in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. NERA employs more than 500 professionals, most of whom have advanced degrees in economics, finance, law or business.
NERA ranked second in Vault's 2018 survey of the top firms in economic consulting. It ranks third in the 2022 ranking, after BCG and Bain. The New York Times called it "one of the country’s oldest and best-known economic consultancies." Laurence Tribe, professor of constitutional law at Harvard Law School, said that NERA is "one of the world’s foremost economic consultancies."
In June 2017, President Donald Trump cited statistics from a study by NERA in a speech announcing his plan to pull the United States out of the Paris Agreement. The study, which was prepared to measure the economic impact of hypothetical regulatory actions necessary to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement, was criticized for overestimating the costs of reducing greenhouse gas emissions. In a response, NERA said that the Trump Administration selectively used results of the study that mischaracterized its purpose and analysis.
- Analysis Group
- Bates White
- Berkeley Research Group
- Brattle Group
- Charles River Associates
- Compass Lexecon
- Cornerstone Research
- Frontier Economics
- "NERA Economic Consulting | Company Profile | Vault.com". Vault. Retrieved 2020-02-06.
- Singer, Penny (1986). "The Expert Witness: Economists Turn Data into Testimony". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "NERA Economic Consulting, Inc.: Private Company Information - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- "NERA Economic Consulting - Law Firms - The Latest Legal News and Law Firm Information - Who's Who Legal". whoswholegal.com. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- Glater, Jonathan D. (2005-08-19). "A growing market allows shopping for expert witnesses". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "NERA Economic Consulting|Company Profile|Vault.com". Vault. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- "Best Economic Consulting Firms | Vault.com". Vault. Retrieved 2023-05-04.
- Lipton, Eric; Confessore, Nicholas; Williams, Brooke (2016-08-08). "Think Tank Scholar or Corporate Consultant? It Depends on the Day". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- "A rebuttal from Tribe - Harvard Law Today". Harvard Law Today. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- Landler, Mark; Plumer, Brad; Qiu, Linda (2017-06-01). "Trump, Prioritizing Economy Over Climate, Cites Disputed Premises". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Fact-checking Trump's statement on withdrawing from Paris". PolitiFact. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- "Trump cites alternative facts about Clean Power Plan from NERA Economic Consulting". Energy and Policy Institute. 2017-03-28. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "NERA Economic Consulting's Study of US Emissions Reduction Policies: Statement of Facts". www.nera.com. Retrieved 2018-03-06.