|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||04h 12m 04.3s|
|Declination||−32° 52′ 27″|
|Redshift||1040 ± 5 km/s|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||10.7|
|Apparent size (V)||12′.6 × 3′.3|
NGC 1532 is one of many edge-on spiral galaxies that possesses a box-shaped bulge. This is an indication that the bulge is actually a bar. Such bars are easy to detect in face-on galaxies, where the structures can be identified visually. In inclined galaxies such as this one, however, careful analyses are needed to distinguish between bulges and bar structures.
Companion galaxies and interactions
NGC 1532 may possess several dwarf companion galaxies. The galaxy is clearly interacting with one of these galaxies, the amorphous dwarf galaxy NGC 1531. The tidal forces from this interaction have created unusual plumes above the disk of NGC 1532.
NGC 4631 - an edge-on spiral galaxy also interacting with a dwarf companion
- NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day: NGC 1531/2 (10 July 1998)
- NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day: Interacting Galaxies (1 March 2005)
- NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day: Galaxies in the River (10 February 2016)
- NGC 1532 on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images
- "NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database". Results for NGC 1532. Retrieved 2006-11-21.
- "List of Supernovae". IAU Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams. Archived from the original on 11 July 2015. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- R. Lütticke; R.-J. Dettmar; M. Pohlen (2000). "Box- and peanut-shaped bulges. I. Statistics". Astronomy and Astrophysics Supplement. 145 (3): 405–414. Bibcode:2000A&AS..145..405L. arXiv: . doi:10.1051/aas:2000354.
- A. Sandage; J. Bedke (1994). Carnegie Atlas of Galaxies. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington. ISBN 0-87279-667-1.
- Horellou, C.; Casoli, F.; Dupraz, C. (1995). "The CO and HI emission of spiral and lenticular galaxies in the Fornax cluster.". Astronomy and Astrophysics. 303: 361. Bibcode:1995A&A...303..361H.
|This galaxy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|