NGC 2859 imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope
|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||09h 24m 18.549s|
|Declination||+34° 30′ 48.16″|
|Redshift||1687 ± 8 km/s|
|Distance||82.8 Mly (25.4 Mpc)|
|Apparent dimensions (V)||4′.3 × 3′.8|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||11.8|
|Notable features||Double barred|
|UGC 5001, PGC 26649|
NGC 2859 is a lenticular galaxy located some 83 million light years away in the constellation Leo Minor. The morphological classification is (R)SB(r)0+, where the S0+ notation indicates a well-defined physical structure that is lacking in visible spiral arms. It has a strong bar (B) of the "ansae" type, which means it grows brighter or wider toward the tips. A faint, secondary bar is positioned at nearly a right angle to the main bar. These features are surrounded by a weak inner ring (r) that appears diffuse. The outer region of the galaxy hosts a prominent, detached ring (R) that includes a series of blue-hued knots along the eastern side.
- Skrutskie, M. F. et al. (February 2006), "The Two Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS)", Astrophysical Journal 131 (2): 1163–1183, Bibcode:2006AJ....131.1163S, doi:10.1086/498708.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology. "Results for NGC 2859". NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Retrieved 2006-11-21.
- Richings, A. J. et al. (August 2011), "The connection between radio loudness and central surface brightness profiles in optically selected low-luminosity active galaxies", Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 415 (3): 2158–2172, arXiv:1104.1053, Bibcode:2011MNRAS.415.2158R, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2011.18845.x.
- Buta, Ronald J.; Corwin, Harold G.; Odewahn, Stephen C. (2007), Atlas of Galaxies, Cambridge University Press, p. 118, ISBN 0521820480.
- de Lorenzo-Cáceres, A. et al. (May 2013), "Distinct stellar populations in the inner bars of double-barred galaxies", Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 431 (3): 2397–2418, arXiv:1302.5701, Bibcode:2013MNRAS.431.2397D, doi:10.1093/mnras/stt334.
- NGC 2859 on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images
|This galaxy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|