NGC 3521 HST
|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||11h 05m 48.593s|
|Declination||–00° 02′ 09.24″|
|Helio radial velocity||801 km/s|
|Distance||26.2 Mly (8.03 Mpc)|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||11.0|
|Apparent size (V)||11′.0 × 5′.1|
|Notable features||HII LINER|
NGC 3521 is a flocculent  intermediate spiral galaxy located around 26 million light-years away from Earth in the constellation Leo. It has a morphological classification of SAB(rs)bc, which indicates that it is a spiral galaxy with a trace of a bar structure (SAB), a weak inner ring (rs), and moderate to loosely wound arm structure (bc). The bar structure is difficult to discern, both because it has a low ellipticity and the galaxy is at a high inclination of 72.7° to the line of sight. The relatively bright bulge is nearly 3/4 the size of the bar, which may indicate the former is quite massive. The nucleus of this galaxy is classified as an HII LINER, as there is an H II region at the core and the nucleus forms a low-ionization nuclear emission-line region.
NGC 3521 from the Hubble Space Telescope.
- Skrutskie, M. F.; et al. (February 2006), "The Two Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS)", The Astronomical Journal, 131 (2): 1163–1183, Bibcode:2006AJ....131.1163S, doi:10.1086/498708.
- "NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database". Results for NGC 3521. Retrieved 2006-10-24.
- Mao, Rui-Qing; et al. (December 2010), "An Extragalactic 12CO J = 3-2 Survey with the Heinrich Hertz Telescope", The Astrophysical Journal, 724 (2): 1336–1356, arXiv: , Bibcode:2010ApJ...724.1336M, doi:10.1088/0004-637X/724/2/1336. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "ApJ724_2_1336" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Liu, Guilin; et al. (July 2011), "The Super-linear Slope of the Spatially Resolved Star Formation Law in NGC 3521 and NGC 5194 (M51a)", The Astrophysical Journal, 735 (1): 63, arXiv: , Bibcode:2011ApJ...735...63L, doi:10.1088/0004-637X/735/1/63.
- Buta, Ronald J.; et al. (2007), Atlas of Galaxies, Cambridge University Press, pp. 13–17, ISBN 0521820480.
- "Hubble shears a "woolly" galaxy". Retrieved 21 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NGC 3521.|
- NGC 3521 on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images
|This galaxy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|