|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||12h 15m 54.4s|
|Declination||+13° 08′ 58″|
|Redshift||131 ± 4 km/s|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||11.0|
|Apparent size (V)||8′.1 × 1′.8|
|UGC 7284, PGC 39246, VCC 167|
NGC 4216 is one of the largest and brightest spiral galaxies of the Virgo Cluster, with an absolute magnitude that has been estimated to be -22 (i.e.: brighter than the Andromeda Galaxy), and like most spiral galaxies of this cluster shows a deficiency of neutral hydrogen that's concentrated within the galaxy's optical disk and has a low surface density for a galaxy of its type. This explains why NGC 4216 is considered an anemic galaxy by some authors, also with a low star formation activity for a galaxy of its type. In fact, the galaxy's disk shows pillar-like structures that may have been caused by interactions with the intracluster medium of Virgo and/or with nearby galaxies.
In NGC 4216's halo, besides a rich system of globular clusters with a number of them estimated in around 700 (nearly five times more than the Milky Way), two stellar streams that are interpreted as two satellite galaxies being disrupted and absorbed by this galaxy are present.
NGC 4216 seems to be in a place of the Virgo cluster where dwarf galaxies are being destroyed/accreted at a high rate, with it suffering a large number of interactions with these type of galaxies.
- "NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database". Results for NGC 4216. Retrieved 2006-11-25.
- O'Meara, Stephen James (2007). Deep-Sky Companions: Hidden Treasures. Cambridge University Press. pp. 299–302. ISBN 9780521837040. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Globular Cluster Systems in Galaxies Beyond the Local Grup". NASA-IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED). Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- Chung, A.; Van Gorkom, J.H.; Kenney, J.F.P.; Crowl, Hugh; Vollmer, B. (2009). "VLA Imaging of Virgo Spirals in Atomic Gas (VIVA). I. The Atlas and the H I Properties". The Astronomical Journal. 138 (6): 1741–1816. Bibcode:2009AJ....138.1741C. doi:10.1088/0004-6256/138/6/1741.
- Vollmer, B.; Soida, M.; Beck, R.; Chung, A.; Urbanik, M.; Chyży, K. T.; Otmianowska-Mazur, K.; Kenney, J. D. P. (2013). "Large-scale radio continuum properties of 19 Virgo cluster galaxies. The influence of tidal interactions, ram pressure stripping, and accreting gas envelopes". Astronomy & Astrophysics. 553: 1741–1816. arXiv:1304.1279. Bibcode:2013A&A...553A.116V. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201321163. A116.
- "Stellar Tidal Streams in Spiral Galaxies of the Local Volume". Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- Paudel, Sanjaya; Duc, Pierre-Alain; Côté, Patrick; Cuillandre, Jean-Charles; et al. (2013). "The Next Generation Virgo Cluster Survey. IV. NGC 4216: A Bombarded Spiral in the Virgo Cluster". Astrophysical Journal. 767 (2): 133. arXiv:1302.6611. Bibcode:2013ApJ...767..133P. doi:10.1088/0004-637X/767/2/133. 133.
|This galaxy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|