||This article contains weasel words: vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information. (December 2015)|
NGC 4565 or Needle Galaxy
|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||12h 36m 20.8s|
|Declination||+25° 59′ 16″|
|Helio radial velocity||1230 ± 5 km/s|
|Distance||42.7 ± 12 Mly (13.1 ± 3.7 Mpc)
53 ± 4 Mly (16.2 ± 1.3 Mpc)
|Apparent magnitude (V)||10.42|
|Apparent size (V)||15′.90 × 1′.85|
|UGC 7772, PGC 42038, Caldwell 38|
It is known as the Needle Galaxy for its narrow profile. First spotted in 1785 by William Herschel, it is one of the most famous examples of an edge-on spiral galaxy. "Visible through a small telescope, some sky enthusiasts consider NGC 4565 to be a prominent celestial masterpiece Messier missed."
Much speculation exists in the literature as to the nature of the central bulge. In the absence of clear-cut dynamical data on the motions of stars in the bulge, the photometric data alone cannot adjudge among various options put forth. However, its exponential shape suggested that it is a barred spiral galaxy. Studies with the help of the Spitzer Space Telescope not only confirmed the presence of a central bar but also showed a pseudobulge within it as well as an inner ring.
- "Results for NGC 4565". NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database. Retrieved 2006-10-12.
- "Distance Results for NGC 4565". NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- Jensen, Joseph B.; Tonry, John L.; Barris, Brian J.; Thompson, Rodger I.; et al. (February 2003). "Measuring Distances and Probing the Unresolved Stellar Populations of Galaxies Using Infrared Surface Brightness Fluctuations". Astrophysical Journal. 583 (2): 712–726. arXiv: . Bibcode:2003ApJ...583..712J. doi:10.1086/345430.
- NGC4565 at http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap040409.html
- Spiral Galaxy NGC 4565 at http://www.eso.org/gallery/v/ESOPIA/Galaxies/phot-24a-05.tif.html
- Globular Cluster Systems in Galaxies Beyond the Local Group
- "Intermediate-band surface photometry of the edge-on galaxy NGC 4565" at http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1538-3881/123/3/1364/201272.text.html
- Detection of a Distinct Pseudobulge Hidden Inside the ``Box-Shaped Bulge of NGC 4565
- HALOGAS: H I Observations and Modeling of the Nearby Edge-on Spiral Galaxy NGC 4565
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NGC 4565.|
- NGC 4565 on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images
- National Optical Astronomical Observatory – NGC 4565
- APOD (2010-03-04) – NGC 4565: Galaxy on Edge
- APOD (2009-04-28) – NGC 4565