|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||12h 41m 32.8s|
|Declination||+41° 09′ 03″|
|Redshift||544 ± 1 km/s|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||11.2|
|Apparent size (V)||4'.2 × 3'.4|
|Notable features||asymmetric; single spiral arm|
|IC 3667, UGC 7853, PGC 042575, Arp 23, VV 73|
NGC 4618 is a distorted barred dwarf galaxy in the constellation Canes Venatici. The galaxy is formally classified as a Sm galaxy, which means that its structure vaguely resembles the structure of spiral galaxies. The galaxy is sometimes referred to as a Magellanic spiral because of its resemblance to the Magellanic clouds.
Unlike most spiral galaxies, NGC 4618 has a single spiral arm, which gives the galaxy an asymmetric appearance. This galaxy was included in the Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies as one of three examples of nearby galaxies with single spiral arms. Although NGC 4618 is labeled as peculiar, many similar galaxies have been identified.
It has been hypothesized that this galaxy's asymmetric structure may be the result of a gravitational interaction with NGC 4625. Such asymmetric structure is commonly seen among many interacting galaxies. However, observations of neutral hydrogen gas in NGC 4618 and NGC 4625 imply that only some of the gas outside the optical disks of NGC 4618 is affected by the gravitational interaction. This may indicate that NGC 4618's one-arm shape forms as the result of processes that are intrinsic to the galaxy itself.
- R. W. Sinnott, ed. (1988). The Complete New General Catalogue and Index Catalogue of Nebulae and Star Clusters by J. L. E. Dreyer. Sky Publishing Corporation and Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-933346-51-2.
- "NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database". Results for NGC 4618. Retrieved 2006-11-15.
- A. Sandage; J. Bedke (1994). Carnegie Atlas of Galaxies. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington. ISBN 978-0-87279-667-6.
- H. Arp (1966). "Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies". Astrophysical Journal Supplement. 14: 1–20. Bibcode:1966ApJS...14....1A. doi:10.1086/190147.
- S. J. Bush; E. M. Wilcots (2004). "Neutral Hydrogen in the Interacting Magellanic Spirals NGC 4618 and NGC 4625". Astrophysical Journal. 128 (6): 2789–2796. arXiv:astro-ph/0409209. Bibcode:2004AJ....128.2789B. doi:10.1086/425876. S2CID 14636586.
- Media related to NGC 4618 at Wikimedia Commons