Theatrical release poster
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Edited by||Praveen K. L.|
|Distributed by||Reliance Entertainment|
NGK (abbreviation for Nandha Gopalan Kumaran) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language political action film written and directed by Selvaraghavan. Suriya, Sai Pallavi, and Rakul Preet Singh play the lead roles while Devaraj plays a pivotal role. Yuvan Shankar Raja composed the music and Sivakumar Vijayan was the cinematographer. The film was produced by S. R. Prakashbabu and S. R. Prabhu of Dream Warrior Pictures. Pre-production and principal photography commenced in January 2018. The film was released on 31 May 2019 receiving mixed to positive reviews along with Suriya's performences were praised.
Nandha Gopalan Kumaran is a social worker and good doer, specialised in organic farming. He has a huge support from the youngsters in his village who were inspired by him quitting his high profile job for serving his country. He lives with his mother Viji; father Ramanan, a former military officer and a possessive wife Geetha Kumari, who is a major strength for him.
He happens to meet an old friend, Raja, the right hand man of the area MLA, while trying to solve the problem of a few youngsters. He gets a big shock upon finding that what he tried for a long time and failed was done by his friend through the area councillor in a single phone call. Meanwhile, a few shopkeepers, middlemen and others who alarmed by Kumaran's organic farming gives him an ultimatum and later attacks the people and burns their farms using chemicals when he refuses to give up. In order to make things good, Aruna Giri a native asks Kumaran to meet the MLA, Pandiyan, who happens to be ruthless and a narcissist. He agrees to help if Kumaran joins his political party,KMK, along with 500 others from his villages to which he is forced to comply. Pandiyan ill treats him and asks him to clean his toilet, buy biriyani and even bring a sex worker. Though furious at first he decides to use the situation to gain Pandiyan's trust and in the process do good for his village. He discovers that Raja is suffering from terminal cancer and will not live long.
Kumaran happens to meet Vanathi Thiagarajan who was appointed by the party with a monthly income of 1.2 crore to help them win the upcoming elections. Impressed by Kumaran, she seeks his opinion soon starting an affair with him much to his wife's suspicion. Kumaran asks Vanathi to select Kesavamoorthy, the Home Minister, as their target. Despite threats from Killivazhavan"Killi", the Chief Minister, he manages to expose the ill deeds of the Home Minister and arranges a scripted revolt for their party's benefit. However, Raja makes Kumaran kill him so as to intensify the people's emotions for their party and make the latter an important figure. Kumaran is arrested and later admitted in the hospital. Killi is shocked to find that Kumaran has turned the tides against him and decides to kill him. Kumaran is soon confronted by goons in doctors' disguise whom he single handedly defeats with great difficulty. The next day he puts up a show in the front of his villagers gaining their trust. Pichai Muthu, the leader of KMK, is alarmed by the popularity of Kumaran and also finds that Vanathi is helping him. He decides to nominate Kumaran as the candidate for the upcoming elections to the legislative assembly.
The night when he is to address his villagers, he is badly attacked and his wife is stabbed. Vanathi comes to her rescue. Pichai who had organized the attack kills Kumaran's parents. An angry Kumaran addresses the gathering with full vigour causing them to attack and kill Pichai and his accomplices. Vanathi decides to leave their relationship to Kumaran. Kumaran forms a new party,Makkal Munnetra Kazhakam and wins the upcoming elections forming a coalition government. He reunites with his wife. Kumaran becomes the new chief minister and while in a channel interview mentions about strengthening his hold in the state.
- Suriya as Nandha Gopalan Kumaran "NGK" / Kumaran
- Sai Pallavi as Geetha Kumari, wife of Kumaran
- Rakul Preet Singh as Vanathi Thiagarajan
- Devaraj as Killivazhavan "Killi"
- Ponvannan as Pichai Muthu "Pichai"
- Bala Singh as Aruna Giri "Giri"
- Rajkumar as Raja
- Nizhalgal Ravi as Ramanan, Kumaran's father
- Uma Padmanabhan as Viji, Kumaran's mother
- Vela Ramamoorthy as Saghayam
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Ramamoorthy
- Ilavarasu as MLA Pandiyan
- Sathish as Killivazhavan's personal secretary
- Shanthi Mani as Srivilliputhur resident
- Cumbum Meena Sellamuthu as Selvi
Following the films Nenjam Marapathillai and Mannavan Vanthanadi, it was announced on 17 November 2016 that director Selvaraghavan would direct actor Suriya's 36th film, to be produced by S. R. Prabhu of Dream Warrior Pictures, and the film is expected to enter production in January 2018 and was touted to be a Diwali 2018 release. However, owing to shooting delays due to sickness of the director, the film's release was postponed to 31 May 2019.
Principal photography of the film commenced on 22 January 2018 with actress Sai Pallavi playing the female lead with Neeraja Kona as the costume designer for the film. and later Selva announced he is collaborating with Yuvan Shankar Raja for music, and Sivakumar Vijayan for cinematography, while actress Rakul Preet Singh will reportedly play the second female lead. Jagapathi Babu was roped in to play the villain, but was subsequently replaced with Devaraj.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||29 April 2019|
|Producer||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2.||""Thimiranumda""||Vignesh Shivan||Jithin Raj||3:56|
|3.||""Anbe Peranbe""||Uma Devi||Sid Sriram, Shreya Ghoshal||4:29|
The first look of the film and title NGK, which is short for Nandha Gopalan Kumaran, the name of Suriya's character in the film, were unveiled on 5 March 2018.
The teaser was released on 14 February 2019 in Tamil and Telugu. A new poster was released on director Selvaraghavan’s birthday (5 March 2019) and the film's trailer and audio was released on 29 April 2019. The film has a release date of 31 May 2019.
The critical reception was polarized.
Wetalkiess stated that "NGK fails to create Selvaraghavan's magic but Suriya has given one of his best performance" . M Suganth of Times of India gave 2 out 5 stars stating, "NGK is a letdown and doesn't fulfill any of the promises it has on paper". 
Srinivasa Ramanujam of The Hindu called the movie an oddly put together mash up of a movie. He concluded by stating, "NGK is Suriya trying to deliver a Selvaraghavan-ish performance when the director himself is trying to deliver a Shankar/Murugadoss-ish film. The results aren't extremely pleasing." S. Subakeerthana of Indian Express rated the film 2.5/5 and stated "Works to some extent, elevated by Suriya's performance... NGK, on the whole isn't satisfying. Simply put, it is neither a Selvaraghavan nor a Suriya film." .
On a positive note, Shubham Bahukhandi of DekhNews.com gave a positive review stating that, "Tamil movie NGK is a good movie and we think that the makers are going to make more than enough bucks out of it. You all can watch NGK with your friends and family" and giving the film, a rating of 3.5/5.
Just like the director's previous films like "Pudhupettai" and "Aayirathil Oruvan", initially the film received mixed to positive reaction from both critics as well as audiences due to the complexity of the film. But due to social media, the film got more of a positive response especially from the audiences.
The website "Behindwoods.com" even stated the film as one of the best movies by Selvaraghavan.Another website "SamayamTamil.com" has decoded the film for the movie-goers to understand the hints present in the film.
- "Suriya's NGK stands for Nandha Gopalan Kumaran". behindwoods.com. 5 March 2018. Archived from the original on 15 June 2018. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Suriya "36 to be directed by Selvaraghavan". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "36th film will be produced by Dream Warrior Pictures". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Selvaraghavan on Twitter: Super excited to be working with @Suriya_offl , one of the finest actors in india & @DreamWarriorpic ,a young and energetic team. #Suriya36".
- "Suriya 36th film directed by Selvaraghavan to begin shoot in January 2018".
- "Suriya 36 starts rolling; makers confirm Diwali 2018 release". hindustantimes.com. 2 January 2018. Archived from the original on 21 June 2018. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Suriya 36 starts rolling".
- "Yuvan to score music for Suriya 36".
- Prakash Upadhyaya (14 February 2019). "NGK teaser released: Here is the video from Suriya-Selvaraghavan's film". International Business Times. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Yuvan Shankar Raja reworks on 'NGK' album". TimesofIndia.
- "Surya's 'NGK' becomes the first Tamil film to release in South Korea – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "NGK strikes major deal before release! - Tamil News". IndiaGlitz.com. 27 May 2019. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "Suriya's NGK satellite and digital rights sold to Vijay TV and Prime Video respectively". in.com. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "NGK first look: Suriya is styled like Che Guevara in Selvaraghavan directorial. See photo". Hindustan Times. 5 March 2018. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "Suriya's 'NGK' Teaser Gets A Grand Welcome, Fans Dance And Cheer For The Actor in Theatres". RepublicWorld.
- "'NGK' Telugu Official Teaser highlights Suriya's electrifying screen presence". TimesofIndia.
- "New poster of NGK released on Selavraghavan's birthday". IndianExpress.
- "செல்வராகவன் படம் என்று எதிர்பார்த்து போனால் ஏமாற்றம் தான் மிஞ்சும்!". Wetalkiess. 5 April 2019.
- "NGK Review". Times of India. 31 May 2019. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- https://www.dekhnews.com/entertainment/ngk-movie-reviews-ratings/. Missing or empty
- https://m.behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-cinema-fans-column/why-is-ngk-the-best-selvaraghavan-movie-ever.html. Missing or empty
- https://tamil.samayam.com/viral-corner/tweets/a-fan-on-twitter-posts-ngk-movie-excellently-decoded-by-director-selvaraghavan/articleshow/69634435.cms. Missing or empty