Cover featuring Martin Brodeur
|Genre(s)||Sports (ice hockey)|
NHL 14 is an ice hockey video game developed by EA Canada and published by EA Sports. It is the 23rd installment of the NHL series and was released on September 10, 2013 in North America, and was released three days later in Europe as well as Australia and New Zealand. However, the game was released on September 7, 2013 for subscribers of the EA Sports Season Ticket service.
Like the NHL 13 cover, anybody could vote on the player(s) they wished to see on the cover of NHL 14. The vote started on April 22, 2013 with 60 NHL players (2 players per team) in a single-elimination voting with two players in each match-up, and was closed on June 2, 2013. Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur and Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky qualified for the final, and Martin Brodeur was announced as the winner on June 28, 2013. NHL 14 marked the first time since NHL 97 that a goaltender was featured on the official cover (John Vanbiesbrouck was on the cover that year), as well as the first goaltender on any official ice hockey video game cover since Marty Turco on 2K Sports' NHL 2K6. Jonas Hiller was featured on the cover of NHL 12, but only in PAL regions.
NHL 14 has overhauls to two game engines, based on other sports titles developed by EA Canada. The collision physics are now powered by the same core technology behind the FIFA Player Impact Engine. For more realistic fights, the game employs the new Enforcer Engine based on the Fight Night series. In addition, the True Performance Skating engine got some more improvements, and the game has a new deking system. The game's Be a Pro career mode now has off-the-ice interactions to dictate the player's overall legacy. NHL 14 also features a modernized version of NHL '94, called NHL '94 Anniversary mode, featuring current rosters and updated graphics to commemorate the game's 20th anniversary. This game also includes five Swiss NLA -league arenas.
Live the Life Mode – This is an expanded version of the Be A Pro mode in previous versions of the NHL franchise. Not only play on the ice, but off-ice decisions affect player development. This can be compared to the NBA 2K 's MyPlayer/My Career modes.
- HUT & EASHL Online Seasons – NHL 14 adds a promotion and relegation system to Hockey Ultimate Team & EA SPORTS Hockey League modes.
- NHL 94 Anniversary Mode – In this mode, the game can be played using the controller layout and presentation style of NHL '94.
- Winter Classic – The Winter Classic mode is back for NHL 14. This time, players have the option of playing the 2011 Winter Classic or the 2012 Winter Classic.
- NBC Matchup – In mid-March 2014, EA teamed up with NBC Sports to add their NHL Game of the Week between Thursdays and Sundays, and their Wednesday Night Rivalry game between Mondays and Wednesdays, for the remainder of the 2013–14 NHL season.
Leagues and teams
NHL 14 includes the NHL, AHL, CHL, SHL, Czech Extraliga, Liiga, DEL, NLA, and National teams. New teams in the game are Utica Comets, Hartford Wolf Pack, Örebro HK, Leksands IF, Lausanne HC, Charlottetown Islanders, Iowa Wild and North Bay Battalion.
|Airbourne||"Live It Up"|
|Biffy Clyro||"Modern Magic Formula"|
|Black Rebel Motorcycle Club||"Let the Day Begin"|
|Black Veil Brides||"In the End"|
|Bullet For My Valentine||"Riot"|
|Dropkick Murphys||"The Boys are Back"|
|Hanni El Khatib||"Family"|
|Heaven's Basement||"Fire, Fire"|
|Soundgarden||"Been Away Too Long"|
|Wolfmother||"Joker & the Thief"|
NHL 14 received positive reviews. IGN called it "Nostalgia on ice" and gave it an 8.3 out of 10. Based on 30 reviews, the game received an aggregated 81/100 score on Metacritic with generally favorable reviews. Overall it was regarded as an improvement in the NHL game franchise. NHL 14 was awarded with "Best Sports Game" in the Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2013.
- Goldfarb, Andrew (2013-04-15). "NHL 14 Release Date Announced". IGN. IGN Entertainment. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "NHL 14 cover vote starts April 22". EA Sports. 2013-04-18. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "NHL ‘14 EA Cover Vote Sweepstakes" (PDF). covervote.nhl.com. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- Halford, Mike (2013-05-27). "It’s Brodeur vs. Bobrovsky in NHL ’14 cover vote final". NBC Sports. prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "NHL 14 Cover Reveal". EA Sports. easports.com. 2013-06-28. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- NHL 14 launches September 10 - GameSpot
- Modernized version of ‘NHL 94′ to appear in upcoming ‘NHL 14′ video game | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports
- "EA Sports and NBC Sports Partner Up to Add NBC Game of the Week in NHL 14". Operation Sports. 2014-03-14. Retrieved 2014-06-24.
- NHL 14 Review - IGN
- NHL 14 Critic Review for Xbox 360 - Metacritic
- NHL 14 - E3 2013 BEST SPORTS GAME