NHTV Breda University of Applied Sciences
|Motto||Discover your world|
|Chairman||Hein van Oorschot|
NHTV Breda University of Applied Sciences (Dutch: NHTV internationaal hoger onderwijs Breda) is a vocational university in Breda, Netherlands. It was founded in 1987 with the merger of two educational institutions. Since, the university has increased in the number of staff, students and programmes offered. In 2010 there are more than 7,000 students from over 70 countries studying in the university in different types of programmes offered both in English and Dutch. NHTV Breda University offers 18 full-time bachelor's degree programmes. Two master programmes and one part-time bachelor's degree programme. NHTV Breda University is currently offering nine English taught bachelor programmes and five English taught master programmes.
In 1966 vocational university Nederlands Wetenschappelijk Instituut voor Toerisme (NWIT) was founded in Breda. It offered bachelor programmes in tourism and leisure and in this field, it was and still is the largest and leading education institution in the world. In 1987 NWIT merged with the in 1972 founded Verkeersakademie Tilburg (VAT), to form Nationale hogeschool voor toerisme en verkeer (NHTV). In the years following this merger NHTV grew both in offered courses as well as in sheer student numbers. Increasingly, internationalization became the focus, this culminated in a name change in 2001; NHTV internationale hogeschool Breda. NHTV was no longer an abbreviation but rather used as its name. In 2008 Dutch hogeschool (hbo) was renamed to university of applied sciences in English. Universities of Applied Sciences offer bachelor's degrees, master's degrees (but neither "of Arts" nor "of Science") and no doctorates. New (academic) bachelor and master programmes (for instance a master in Imagineering) have been developed since then, closely related to the disciplines.
With a focus on the development of academic knowledge and the promotion of sound professional practice, the specialist disciplines of NHTV are:
Games & Media
- International Game Architecture and Design
- International Media and Entertainment Management
- International Hotel Management
- International Real Estate and Facility Management (Facility Management)
- International Logistics and Economics (Management)
- International Logistics and Transport Management (Engineering)
- Logistiek en economie
- Logistic Engineering
- International Traffic Management (Engineering)
Tourism & Leisure
- Bachelor of Science Leisure Studies (Academic)
- International Leisure Management
- International Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Science Tourism (Academic)
- Functiegericht toerisme en recreatie
- Functiegericht toerisme en recreatie (Two years Associate Degree )
NHTV Breda University offer the following Master programmes:
Games & Media
- Master in Game Technology
- Master in Imagineering (Executive Master offered)
- Master in Media Innovation (Executive Master offered)
Tourism & Leisure
- Master in Tourism Destination Management
- Master of Science Leisure Studies
Quality in an international setting
NHTV prepares for practical management-level positions in an international setting. NHTV works together with many education institutions all over the world. As a result, there are many opportunities for intensive student and lecturer exchanges. Due in part to the joint research programmes, student conferences and summer courses, the international character of the programmes is strengthened. Furthermore, NHTV encourages work placements abroad or at internationally oriented companies.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Breda.|
- "Facts & Figures 2010/2011. NHTV Breda University of Applied Sciences" (PDF) (in Dutch). Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- "Master's Programmes and Executive Education". Retrieved 29 April 2014.