The NIE is a tax identification number in Spain, known in Spanish as the NIE, or more formally the Número de identidad de extranjero. The Spanish government have linked the NIE number to residence, where the NIE appears on the tarjeta de residencia (residence card), and to social security in Spain.
The number itself is made up of an initial letter followed by seven digits followed by a verification letter. The initial letter is an Y 553109Q before July 2008 and a Y afterwards. It is issued by the National Police of Spain. The NIE, which in accordance with Article 101 of the Rules for foreigners in Spain, was approved by Royal Decree 2393/2004 on December 30, 2004, is required for the purchase or sale of real estate, vehicle and boats, or in order to work or study. There are many other transactions that require the parties involved to possess an NIE Number. In some cases, alternate identification, e.g., passport number, may be used. In the 2014 Catalan self-determination referendum foreigners were able to vote with their NIE number. The NIE number itself is issued on a standard A4 page, with the recipients full name (as written on the passport used during the application process), their place of birth, their nationality, and the number itself, along with a stamp and signature provided by the National Police.
Applying for N.I.E
The NIE can be applied for in three ways:
- Present the application in Spain personally, in which case proof of being legally in Spain and documents which justify the reasons for having the NIE.
- An accredited representative in Spain with the correct legal powers, either general or specific, can make the application on behalf of the ´person making the application, and requires documents which justify the reasons for having the NIE.
- Applications made in a Spanish diplomatic mission or consulate located in the country in which the person making the application is domiciled, requiring the documents which justify the reasons for having the NIE.
There are two main requirements to make the application:
- Completed and signed original (not a copy) application form EX-15.
- Passport and photocopy
The application form requires an address; this need not be permanent; e.g., a hotel may be used. The form also requests phone number and e-mail, but the physical address may be used for notification (so it is unwise to give an address from which you cannot retrieve mail). The form also asks for a reason for requesting the NIE.
In the case of presenting the application in Spain personally, some bigger localities (like Valencia) require an appointment to be booked online beforehand.
Foreigners with an NIE can use it to register with the municipal register of inhabitants.
- "Expedición y vigencia del certificado de registro y de la tarjeta de residencia". www.policia.es. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "Documentación, Nº de Identificación (NIE) y Extranjeros Indocumentados". www.policia.es. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- How To Get A NIE Number : All you need to know
- Los extranjeros podrán votar el 9-N con solo el carnet de identidad
- Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE)
- "NIE and Registration as a Resident in Valencia for EU citizens". Moving to Valencia. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- El alcalde de Vic veta el padrón a los 'sin papeles' para "salvar la ciudad"
- Ministry of the Interior of Spain - The government body responsible for NIE number application processing
- Policía Nacional de España - The National Police of Spain
- Government information site - Government website with information in English and the forms you need to apply
- NIE Number booking website - Book a NIE Number appointment using an English form.