National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|ଜାତୀୟ ପ୍ରଯୁକ୍ତି ପ୍ରତିଷ୍ଠାନ ରାଉରକେଲା
राष्ट्रीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान राउरकेला
Official Seal of NITR
|Type||Public engineering school|
|Location||Rourkela, Odisha, India|
|Campus||Modern (around 1200 acres)|
National Institute of Technology Rourkela (Odia: ଜାତୀୟ ପ୍ରଯୁକ୍ତି ପ୍ରତିଷ୍ଠାନ ରାଉରକେଲା), formerly Regional Engineering College Rourkela (REC Rourkela), is a publicly funded premier institute of higher learning for engineering, science and technology located in the steel city of Rourkela, Odisha, India. It is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India and has been recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007. It is ranked 12 in the NIRF Rankings 2017 of Indian Engineering Universities.
NIT Rourkela was established as Regional Engineering College (REC) Rourkela on 15 August 1961. Chief Minister of Odisha, Biju Patnaik has provided the land for the same which is Approximate 648 Acre. Its foundation stone was laid by the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. It was granted autonomy in 2002 and now functioning Independent under the Ministry of Human Resource Development  thus becoming one of the National Institutes of Technology. During the Captainship of the Founding Director Prof. Sunil Kumar Sarangi, the institute was transformed to its current status, and now NIT Rourkela is well known for its research related activities in various field of Science and Technology.
H.E. The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee, is the Visitor of our Institute. NIT Rourkela is a university, The Institute is managed by a Board of Governors (BoG) created as per NIT Act of 2007. Under the Act, which is responsible for the overall superintendence, direction, and control of its affairs. The Director is responsible for managing the day-to-day affairs of the institute, & the Director is the Principal Executive and Academic Officer. The Board of Governors is assisted by three other authorities, viz., The Senate, which frames the curriculum and conducts the examinations. The Senate also appoints advisory or expert committees to make recommendations to the Board of Governors on academic matters related to various departments. The Building and Works Committee and the Finance Committee. The Institute has different Departments, Centers and Technical Service Units (TSUs). Each Department or Centre is headed by a faculty member and each TSU is headed by a faculty member or an officer. The Director is supported in various activities by the Deans i.e. the Dean for Academics, the Dean for Student Welfare, the Dean for faculty welfare, the Dean for Alumni, the Dean for Planning and Development and the Dean for SRICCE (Sponsored Research, Industrial Consultancy, and Continuing Education). The Registrar is in charge of all office and staff Administration and has two deputy registrar & six Assistant Registrars.
The Rourkela Steel City is a medium-sized metropolis, located in the Howrah-Mumbai and Ranchi-Bhubaneswar main railway routes, and also well connected to all parts of the country by road and rail. The population of the city is about 7 lakhs. The institute is at a distance of about 7 km from the railway station. The campus of the institute consisting of the institute buildings, halls of residence and staff colony is situated at the eastern end of Rourkela, beyond Sector-1, on land provided by the Government of Odisha. The institute is bordered by small mountains on the south which are sometimes used as a picnic spot by a group of students.
The campus of the institute is situated at the eastern end of Rourkela steel city, beyond Sector-1, on land provided by the Government of Odisha. The courses are mostly residential on a full-time basis.
The institute area is at the centre of the campus and surrounded by the residential areas. The main building of the Institute is central to the institute area and is surrounded by the departmental buildings. It houses all the classrooms, the Central library, and the Administrative and Academic sections. It also houses departments like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Humanities. All the departments, the lecture gallery, the workshops, the institute canteen and the audio-visual hall surround the main building.
The lecture area and the department of biotechnology and medical engineering are situated behind the department of chemical engineering. The new Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering has come up behind the Department of Computer Science. The buildings of Department of Chemical Engineering, Mining Engineering and Ceramic Engineering have got an extension part.
NOTE: Since rapid infrastructure development is in progress, the section may get outdated quite frequently. Residential accommodation is provided to all faculty, staff and students. There are ten halls of residence for the students within the campus: seven for male graduates and postgraduates, two for female students and one for married students pursuing doctorate degrees and beyond or full-time research.
Students' Activity Centre
The Student Activity Centre (SAC) within the central academic area is the hub of all extra-academic pursuits and is the main organizing office for all student symposiums, annual events and is served by the approximately 400 seater Bhubaneswar Behera Audio Visual Auditorium and an approximately 1000-seat open air theater. Annually, SAC elections are held at the end of even semester through online voting.
The institute is served by an on-campus dispensary (Health Centre) and the fully equipped Community Welfare Service (CWS) Hospital for medical treatments. All residential and non-residential students are insured for all medical expenses by the institute.
The student co-operative store facilitates purchase of books and stationery at reduced prices. The on campus postal service is the state-owned India Post. The official on-campus banker to students and the institute is the state-run State Bank of India (REC Campus).
The Biju Pattanaik Central Library, functional from 1965, has been named after Biju Pattanaik, the former chief minister of Odisha. At present, the library holds about 65,000 books and 18,000 back volumes of periodicals. It has purchased a license to access over 2000 online research journals on science and technology to foster local research activity. The BPCL is automated with integrated library software package called Libsys – LSmart and modernized with latest radio frequency identification (RFID)-based automation system that facilitates self check-in, self check-out, and an automatic security system. This technology offers the fastest, the easiest, and the most efficient way to track, locate and manage library materials. The RFID system counts more than 1.2 lakhs of transactions (issue, return, and renewal) in a year.
|Engineering – India|
NIT Rourkela was ranked 12 among engineering colleges in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework in 2017. Careers360 has given it the second best rating, "AAAA+", among engineering colleges in 2017.
Academics and departments
The institute has the following twenty departments which offer B. Tech, B. Tech-M. Tech Dual, M. Tech, M.Sc, Integrated M.Sc, MBA and PhD degree:
- Department of Architecture and Planning
- Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
- Department of Biotechnology and Medical Engineering
- Department of Ceramic Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Food Processing
- Department of Electronics and Instrumentation
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Life Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Department of Mining Engineering
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Department of School of Management
Dual degree courses on various disciplines have been introduced recently. The institute also provides opportunity for part-time graduate studies in selected fields in addition to doctoral research in various subjects.
In addition to these, the institute has 3 academic centres and 6 service centres.
NIT Rourkela has a very vibrant campus life with as many as 40 clubs or student organizations. These clubs span and promote a variety of interests such as technical, cultural, literary, debating, quizzing, sports, social service, etc. among the students, enabling them to explore and enhance their hitherto hidden talent.
NIT Rourkela hosts four major annual events:
- Innovision: the technical festival which showcases the technical talents of the students and the practical applications of their learning
- Sports Fiesta: in which students from various colleges participate in various sports and games
- Nitrutsav: the cultural festival where students from all parts the country participate
- ISM (International Students Meet): in which students from abroad, especially the neighbouring countries, participate in a slew of events organized by the institute
- NES: National Entrepreneurship Summit is an initiative by Entrepreneurship Cell, NIT Rourkela to promote and support entrepreneurial activities in the institute
- MINARE: The Annual Geo-Mining Fest of NIT Rourkela organised by the Mining Engg. Society
SPIC MACAY NITR Chapter
|This section does not cite any sources. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The SPIC MACAY NITR Chapter was inaugurated on 12 January'2013 by the founder of SPIC MACAY, Dr. Kiran Seth, in the Bhubaneshwar Behera Auditorium. Since then, some events have been organised under this chapter, such as jugalbandi between Pandit Vijay Ghate and Pandit Bhawani Shankar accompanied by Sangeet Mishra on sarangi; performance by Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia during the International Students' Meet. The SPIC MACAY NITR Chapter has received an amazing response both by the students as well as the faculty family. During Spic Macay State Convention 2014, Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Padmashree Geeta Chandran, and G.S Chani performed in the BBA Auditorium.
- Akash Khurana, BTech-mechanical engineering, theatre and film personality; COO, NIMBUS
- CP Gurnani, BTech-chemical engineering, Managing Director and CEO, Tech Mahindra
- Debasish Ghose - Professor, Indian Institute of Science
- Ranjan Dash (Ceramic), founder and Chief Technology Officer, Y-Carbon, USA
- Sandip Das (Mechanical), Former Managing Director of Reliance Jio Infocomm
- Monday Morning — the official e-newsletter of NIT Rourkela
- Nitrutsav - the cultural festival of NIT Rourkela
-  Archived June 14, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120920011819/http://nitrkl.ac.in/about_administration_bog2.html. Archived from the original on September 20, 2012. Retrieved February 18, 2016. Missing or empty
-  Archived September 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived July 18, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2017 (Engineering)". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2017.
- "Top Engineering Colleges in India 2017". Careers360. 2017.
- Departments/Centres. Nitrkl.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.|