NKOTBSB was a supergroup consisting of the members of American boy bands New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys. Howie Dorough of the Backstreet Boys came up with the name, which is a combination of established initialisms of each groups' names, NKOTB and BSB. Together they have released one compilation album, the eponymous NKOTBSB (2011), one single, and toured in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia in 2011 and 2012.
In summer 2010, the Backstreet Boys joined New Kids on the Block on stage at the Radio City Music Hall in New York at their invitation and performed "I Want It That Way". The show was a part of NKOTB's Casi-NO Tour. Since the performance, the media began to circulate rumors of the two uniting for a tour in the summer of 2011.
The tour was officially announced to begin in the summer of 2011 on On Air with Ryan Seacrest on November 8, 2010. During the interview, it was mentioned that the groups were recording a single to be released later. To promote the tour further, the groups conducted a live Q&A session on Ustream on the same day.
The newly formed supergroup first performed together at the closing of 38th Annual American Music Awards on November 21, 2010, to give the public a taste of what they would see on the tour, and again on 2011 New Year's on ABC's Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest show.
On March 14, 2011, the group announced that they would be releasing a joint compilation album on May 24, 2011. The album featured five tracks from each group and some new recordings by the combined supergroup. The single, titled Don't Turn Out The Lights was premiered on April 5, 2011 on Ryan Seacrest.
The NKOTBSB Tour started at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois on May 25, 2011. On June 3, 2011, while in the middle of the tour, they went to Rockefeller Center to perform together at the The Today Show.
The tour ended on June 3, 2012 in Pasay, Philippines, and they performed one last time on August 18, 2012 in Hershey, PA at Summer Mixtape Festival. The performance was also their only North American appearance in 2012.
During a show in London on April 29, 2012, while announcing original member Kevin Richardson's return to the Backstreet Boys, Littrell hinted that they might play some shows with all ten members in the future. In August 2012, members of New Kids on the Block also stated during Mixtape Festival that while it was their last performance together for quite some time, they might get back together down the line, and they hope there will be many more shows with the Backstreet Boys in the future. They also said that NKOTBSB is like another group altogether.
- NKOTBSB (2011)
- Don't Turn Out the Lights (2011)
- NewNowNext Awards (2011)
- Best New Indulgence: New Kids On The Block/Backstreet Boys – Summer Tour 2011
- NKOTBSB Tour (2011–2012)
- "An Interview With Backstreet Boy Howie D". CBS Local Media. January 19, 2011. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- "LISTEN: Backstreet's Brian Littrell talks tour, AJ's rehab and more" (Audio). January 19, 2011. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Romo, Danielle (November 8, 2010). "New Kids On The Block & Backstreet Boys First Ever Interview Together". Ryan Seacrest Official Website. Ryan Seacrest Productions. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- Vick, Megan. "New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys Talking Joint Tour". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- Lyle, Sabre (October 8, 2010). "The Backstreet Boys Resource: Brian in studio for Q100's Bert show - New Kids / Backstreet Boys tour info". Bsbresource.blogspot.com. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- "LIVE Q&A with NKOTB and BSB". Ustream. November 8, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- Vena, Jocelyn (November 21, 2010). "Backstreet Boys And New Kids on the Block Close The AMAs". MTV. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- Boedeker, Hal (November 8, 2010). "Backstreet Boys set for American Music Awards". The Orlando Sentinel. Tribune Company. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "Times Square crowd awaits glitter ball; good riddance notes". Sify.com. January 1, 2011. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- "AFP: New York cheers in 2011". Google.com. December 31, 2010. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- Shetler, Scott. "NKOTBSB -- 2011 New Album Preview". AOL. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- "Listen to NKOTBSB's First Original Single 'Don't Turn Out The Lights' [AUDIO]". Ryan Seacrest. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- Grossberg, Josh (March 14, 2011). "NKOTB + BSB = Lots of Letters and New Supergroup Single". E!: Entertainment Television. NBCUniversal Media, LLC. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "NKOTBSB TODAY SHOW JUNE 3!". NKOTBSB. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- "Watch It Here! NKOTBSB On The Today Show!". Perez Hilton. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- Garibaldi, Christina (19 August 2012). "The Wanted, 98 Degrees Join NKOTBSB Onstage At MixTape Festival". MTV. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Backstreet Boys Welcome Back Kevin Richardson". MTV. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "New Kids On The Block Talk 'Open' Relationship With Backstreet Boys". MTV. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Logo's "NewNowNext Awards" 2011 Announces This Year's Winners". Logo Newsroom. Retrieved April 8, 2011.