NK Varaždin (1931–2015)
|Full name||Varaždinski športski nogometni klub Varaždin|
|Founded||3 June 1931as NK Slavija|
|Ground||Stadion Anđelko Herjavec|
|2014–15||Croatian Third Football League East, 11th|
Varaždinski športski nogometni klub Varaždin (English: Varaždin Football Club), commonly referred to as VŠNK Varaždin or simply Varaždin, was a Croatian football club based in the city of Varaždin in the north of the country. They played their home matches at the Stadion Anđelko Herjavec, which has an all-seating capacity of 10,800. Organised supporters of the team were known as the White Stones before, unsatisfied with club leadership, they founded their own club. The club was formerly known as Varteks from 1958 to 2010.
The club was founded on 3 June 1931 under the name of NK Slavija and existed under this name until 1941. During World War II, the club temporarily ceased to exist and was then reorganised under the name of NK Tekstilac in 1945. The name Varteks was given to the club in 1958 and remained until 21 June 2010, when the club changed its name to Varaždin due to constant lack of sponsorship income from its principal sponsor.
The club's first success happened back in 1938 when they qualified to participate in the premier league of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. In SFR Yugoslavia, their biggest success was the advancement to the final of the Yugoslav Cup in 1961, but they lost the final game to Vardar Skopje from Macedonia.
Varaždin has been a member of the Croatian First Football League since its foundation in 1991. They have not won any national titles so far, but are regularly placed near the top of the table and were also the runners-up in the Croatian Football Cup five times. In the spring of 1999, they had a significant international success when they advanced to the quarterfinals of the now defunct UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, but were then defeated by Real Mallorca with 3–1 in the second-leg away match after playing a goalless draw at home in the first leg. They also attracted some attention at the international level back in 2001, when they eliminated Aston Villa from the UEFA Cup on away goals.
Serious financial troubles forced NK Varaždin into bankruptcy which eventually led to the suspension of the club by Croatian Football Federation. After failing to play two league games during 2011–12 season because of suspension, according to rulebook of Croatian Football Federation Varaždin was relegated to the lowest football level possible, the second county league (seventh tier). The suspension was lifted in August 2013 and club continued to participate in Croatian Third Football League, Croatian third tier.
As a consequence of dissatisfaction by the club management that lead to the relegation to the lowest league tier, supporters of NK Varaždin, founded the club using the visuals and name of then defunct NK Varteks in May of 2011, which currently participates in the Fourth Croatian League under the name NK Varteks.
|Season||League||Cup||European competitions||Top league scorer|
|1992||1. HNL||22||7||6||9||32||25||20||8th||DNQ||Igor Cvitanović||9|
|1992–93||1. HNL||30||10||9||11||38||47||29||7th||QF||Mirza Golubica||8|
|1993–94||1. HNL||34||16||9||9||51||31||41||5th||QF||Davor Vugrinec||17|
|1994–95||1. HNL||30||11||10||9||35||27||43||6th||SF||Davor Vugrinec||8|
|1995–96||1. HNL||32||18||7||7||44||26||61||3rd||RU||Davor Vugrinec||17|
|1996–97||1. HNL||30||12||6||12||34||35||42||6th||QF||Cup Winners' Cup||R1||Davor Vugrinec||13|
|1997–98||1. HNL||32||10||8||14||34||44||38||10th||RU||Marko Topić||7|
|1998–99||1. HNL||32||12||4||16||55||57||40||5th||QF||Cup Winners' Cup||QF||Miljenko Mumlek||13|
|1999–2000||1. HNL||33||10||10||13||32||44||40||7th||QF||Intertoto Cup||R3||Damir Mužek, Vioresin Sinani||5|
|2000–01||1. HNL||32||12||9||11||56||56||45||4th||QF||Saša Bjelanović, Veldin Karić||12|
|2001–02||1. HNL||30||17||6||7||58||40||57||4th||RU||UEFA Cup||R2||Saša Bjelanović||17|
|2002–03||1. HNL||32||18||3||11||52||38||57||3rd||SF||UEFA Cup||R1||Veldin Karić||10|
|2003–04||1. HNL||32||9||11||12||33||42||38||5th||RU||UEFA Cup||R1||Nikola Šafarić||7|
|2004–05||1. HNL||32||14||3||15||53||50||45||5th||SF||Nedim Halilović||9|
|2005–06||1. HNL||32||15||2||15||51||48||47||3rd||RU||Intertoto Cup||R3||Leon Benko||14|
|2006–07||1. HNL||33||12||6||15||49||62||42||8th||R1||UEFA Cup||QR1||Enes Novinić||15|
|2007–08||1. HNL||33||11||7||15||46||53||40||7th||SF||Miljenko Mumlek||9|
|2008–09||1. HNL||33||10||5||18||41||55||35||10th||R2||Goran Mujanović||11|
|2009–10||1. HNL||30||9||9||12||36||43||36||10th||SF||Miljenko Mumlek||11|
|2010–11||1. HNL||30||9||9||12||32||38||36||11th||RU||Filip Škvorc||7|
|2011–12||1. HNL||24||2||3||19||16||52||8||16th||R2||Europa League||QR3||Dominik Glavina||5|
|2012–13||Club was suspended by Croatian Football Federation|
|2013–14||3. HNL North||30||15||5||10||66||32||49||7th||PR||Marko Rog||17|
|2014–15||3. HNL East||30||10||9||11||42||39||39||11th||R2||Luka Ivanović||11|
- League: P = Matches played; W = Matches won; D = Matches drawn; L = Matches lost; F = Goals for; A = Goals against; Pts = Points won; Pos = Final position;
- Cup / Europe: PR = Preliminary round; QR = Qualifying round; R1 = First round; R2 = Second round; Group = Group stage; QF = Quarter-final; SF = Semi-final; RU = Runner-up; W = Competition won;
|Competition||Pld||W||D||L||GF||GA||Last season played|
UEFA Europa League
|UEFA Cup Winners' Cup||10||6||1||3||15||10||1998–99|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup||12||5||3||4||22||21||2005|
Source: uefa.com, Last updated on 4 August 2011
Pld = Matches played; W = Matches won; D = Matches drawn; L = Matches lost; GF = Goals for; GA = Goals against. Defunct competitions indicated in italics.
|1996–97||Cup Winners' Cup||QR||Union Luxembourg||2–1||3–0||5–1|
|R1||Lokomotiv Moscow||2–1||0–1||2–2 (a)|
|1998–99||Cup Winners' Cup||R1||Rudar Velenje||1–0||1–0||2–0|
|1999–2000||Intertoto Cup||R1||Lokomotiv-96 Vitebsk||2–2||2–1||4–3|
|R2||Brann||3–0||0–3||3–3 (5–4 p)|
|R1||Aston Villa||0–1||3–2||3–3 (a)|
|2003–04||UEFA Cup||QR||Levadia Tallinn||3–2||3–1||6–3|
|2005–06||Intertoto Cup||R1||Dinamo Tirana||4–1||1–2||5–3|
|2006–07||UEFA Cup||QR1||KF Tirana||1–1||0–2||1–3|
- Runners up (1): 1960–61
- Most appearances in UEFA club competitions: 27 appearances
- Top scorers in UEFA club competitions: 17 goals
To appear in this section a player must have:
- Played at least 150 league games for the club;
- Scored at least 50 league goals for the club; or
- Played at least one international match for their national team while playing for NK Varaždin.
Years in brackets indicate their spells at the club.
- "Foundation on NK Varteks (in Croatina)".
- "Promjenom imena do kluba neopterećenog s dugovima". Regionalni tjednik. 19 July 2015. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Varaždin profile". UEFA.com. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "Samir Toplak CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Andrija Balajić CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Zlatko Dalić CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Krunoslav Gregorić CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Dražen Madunović Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Miljenko Mumlek CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Mladen Posavec CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Robert Težački CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Davor Vugrinec CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Danijel Hrman CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Veldin Karić CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Nikola Šafarić CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Zoran Kastel CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Leon Benko CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Silvester Sabolčki CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Ivan Režić CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Marijan Mrmić CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Vladimir Vasilj CFS Profile". Croatian Football Statistics. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NK Varaždin.|