Hank Aaron Award
The Hank Aaron Award is given annually to the Major League Baseball (MLB) players selected as the top hitter in each league, as voted on by baseball fans and members of the media. It was introduced in 1999 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Hank Aaron's surpassing of Babe Ruth's career home run mark of 714 home runs. The award was the first major award to be introduced by Major League Baseball in 19 years.
For the 1999 season, a winner was selected using an objective points system. Hits, home runs, and runs batted in (RBI) were given certain point values and the winner was the player who had the highest tabulated points total.
In 2000, the system was changed to a ballot in which each MLB team's radio and television play-by-play broadcasters and color analysts voted for three players in each league. Their first place vote receives five points, the second place vote receives three points, and the third place vote receives one point. Beginning in 2003, fans were given the opportunity to vote via MLB's official website, MLB.com. Fans' votes account for 30% of the points, while broadcasters' and analysts' votes account for the other 70%.
The 2004–2006 Hank Aaron Award was decided in three separate phases. In August fans voted at each Club's official Web site from among three players nominated by the respective Club. The leading vote getter from each Club became one of 30 finalists, from which a special Major League Baseball panel chose six finalists from each League. Online fan voting then determined the overall League winner.
In 2007–2008 five finalists in each league were determined in fan balloting on MLB.com, from 30 club nominees selected by a special panel assembled by Major League Baseball and MLB.com. Online fan votes decided the overall League winner.
For the 2009 Award fans selected both the finalists and the ultimate winners of the award. In September fans voted for one finalist out of three nominees from each MLB Club. Once those 30 finalists were selected, fans voted for one American League and one National League winner, from September 16–30.
The award is handed out to the winners of both leagues before Game 4 of the World Series every year, with Aaron himself presenting the awards.
The first winners of the award were Manny Ramirez and Sammy Sosa in 1999, while the most recent winners are David Ortiz and Kris Bryant. Alex Rodriguez has won the award four times, the most of any player. The winner with the most hits is Todd Helton, who won as a Colorado Rockies in 2000. The winner with the most home runs is Barry Bonds from 2001, and Manny Ramírez in 1999 has the most RBIs.
About the Award
Created exclusively for Major League Baseball by FineAwards.com (Hollywood, FL), the Hank Aaron Award has a hand-carved maritaca granite base and an antique bat and banner combination. It is finished with a subtle etching of the Major League Baseball logo. The award, weighing 12 pounds, sits upon a custom designed cherry wood display.
|Year||Links to the corresponding Major League Baseball season|
|Player (X)||Denotes winning player and number of times they had won the award at that point|
|RBI||Runs batted in|
- Silver Slugger Award: given to the best offensive player at each position.
- Edgar Martínez Award: given to the best designated hitter (DH) (American League).
- Major League Baseball Triple Crown
- This Year in Baseball Awards (including hitter)
- Baseball awards
- List of Major League Baseball awards
- Ted Williams Museum and Hitters Hall of Fame (including "500 Homerun Club" exhibit)
- "Hank Aaron Award". FineAwards.com. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "Hank Aaron Award winners". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Hank Aaron Award & Branch Rickey Award Winners". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Hank Aaron Award presentation". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- Sanchez, Jessie (2002-10-24). "A-Rod receives Hank Aaron Award". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Phillies' Howard, Yankees' Jeter win Hank Aaron Award". ESPN.com. ESPN Internet Ventures. 2006-10-06. Retrieved 2009-05-24.