NORML New Zealand
This article needs to be updated.July 2017)(
NORML New Zealand is a cannabis law reform organisation in New Zealand. It is a National Chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML).
Media and activism
NORML New Zealand publish the print and electronic quarterly magazine NORML News. Copies of the magazine were submitted to the Chief Censor in May 2010 by the Department of Internal Affairs for guidance on whether it should be censored.
"Mary Jane the Cannabus" is a Bedford bus belonging to NORML New Zealand that serves as a mobile cannabis law reform activism centre. Mary Jane is driven by Dakta Green and resides at The Daktory when not on the road. Mary Jane participated in a nationwide tour of New Zealand promoting cannabis law reform from March to May 2008.
In 2018, NORML New Zealand issued a submission supporting the Labour-led coalition government's Misuse of Drugs (Medicinal Cannabis) Amendment Act. They also advocated allowing a higher 5% tolerance for other cannaboids to improve production and affordability; making medical cannabis more accessible to patients with chronic or debilitating conditions where the doctor has prescribed the use of cannabis; legalizing the cultivation of cannabis; and adopting a herbal remedy approach towards non-pharmaceutical cannabis products. While supportive of the Government's proposed Medicinal Cannabis Access Scheme, it advocated a "patient-focused regime" as opposed to what it termed a "corporate pharmaceutical-style scheme." In response to the Government's upcoming cannabis referendum, NORML is one of the founding members of the Cannabis Referendum Coalition.
- "Chapters". NORML. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "Marijuana magazine under scrutiny by Censor - Video". 3 News. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- "Cannabus arrives at Parliament". The New Zealand Herald. 15 May 2008. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- "Protest goes up in green smoke". Northern News. 11 March 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- "NORML's submission on the Govt's medicinal cannabis bill". NORML New Zealand. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "#MakeItLegal". Cannabis Referendum Coalition. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "Otago NORML - About". Otago NORML. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "NORML Dunedin". Otago University Students' Association. Retrieved 31 December 2018.