Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences
|Motto||Vaidyo Narayano Hari|
|Chancellor||Shri Ekkadu Srinivasan Lakshminarasimhan|
|Location||Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India, India|
Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS), formerly Andhra Pradesh University of Health Sciences, is a public university in the city of Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India. It is named after its founder N. T. Rama Rao.
The university was established as University of Health Sciences by the government of Andhra Pradesh and was inaugurated on 9 April by N. T. Rama Rao, the then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. It started functioning on 1 November 1986. After the death of Rama Rao, it was decided to rename the University after him, and this was carried out on 2 February 1998. The university celebrated its silver jubilee from 1–3 November 2011.
There is a library and computer center where the library network is operated from. A guest house is available with different categories of accommodation for the faculty, examiners and visitors. The examinations section is housed in a separate area where special security electronically controls access, which can only be gained by authorised staff and security officers. Biometric electronic attendance recording is also installed.
Admission and courses
The admission for the convener quota is based on ranking in the EAMCET.
The university has graduate and postgraduate degrees, diploma and super-specialty courses in modern medicine; graduate and postgraduate degree courses in Dental Surgery, Nursing, Ayurveda, Homeopathy, and Unani; graduate degree courses in Naturopathy, Physiotherapy and Medical Laboratory Technology, and a postgraduate course in M.Sc. Applied Nutrition.
The number of colleges affiliated to the university from the time of its establishment, has risen from 27 to 184. The degrees awarded by the university are recognized by statutory bodies including the Medical Council of India, the Dental Council of India, the Central Council of Indian Medicine, the Central Council of Homoeopathy and the Indian Nursing Council.
The admissions into medical colleges for MBBS is as follows:
- For seats in government colleges, all seats will be filled by the convener based on EAMCET rank and the tuition fee is Rs 14,000 per annum for 2013-14.
- For seats in private colleges, 50% will be filled by the convener based on EAMCET rank and the tuition fee is Rs 60,000 per annum for 2013-14.
Another 10% will be filled by the convener based on EAMCET rank and the tuition fee is Rs 240,000 per annum for 2013-14.
The remaining 40% of seats are left to the management of private colleges. The Andhra Pradesh government has prescribed a fee of Rs 550,000 per annum for the management seat for 2013-14.
Affailated colleges and Institutes
The university publishes a quarterly multidisciplinary medical journal, the Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences. It is published online, as a free and open-access journal, along with the print form. The first issue was published on 21 March 2012.
- K. N. Rao (1986 - 1988)
- L. Suryanarayana (1988 - 1994)
- C. S. Bhaskaran (1994 - 1997)
- G. Shamsunder (1997 - 2004)
- R. Sambasiva Rao (2004 - 2007)
- P. V. Ramesh (2007 - 2007)
- A. V. Krishnam Raju (from 2007 - 2010)
- I. V. Rao (2010 to 2014)
- J. Venkatesan (2007-04-30). "NATIONAL / ANDHRA PRADESH : Supreme Court issues notice to State government on medical admissions" (Press release). The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Cities / Vijayawada : Active lifestyle keeps diabetes at bay, says health varsity V-C" (Press release). The Hindu. 2012-07-29. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Cities / Vijayawada : NTR University admissions open" (Press release). The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Editorial first issue: New journal Seetharam KA, Devi CP, Ramana Reddy BV - J Dr NTR Univ Health Sci". jdrntruhs.org. Retrieved 7 May 2012.