|Industry||IT services and IT consulting|
|Founded||1988 (spinoff from NTT)|
|Headquarters||Toyosu, Tokyo, JAPAN|
|Toshio Iwamoto, President & CEO|
|Revenue||$ 16 billion|
|¥10.857 billion (FY 2007)|
Number of employees
|75,000 + (as of Feb 2014)|
|Parent||Nippon Telegraph and Telephone|
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Public Corporation, a predecessor of NTT, started Data Communications business in 1967. NTT, following its privatization in 1985, spun off the Data Communications division as NTT DATA in 1988, which has now become the largest of the IT Services companies headquartered in Japan.
NTT DATA is a publicly traded company, but is about 54 percent owned by NTT. Its business areas are in national and local governments, financial, and telecommunication sectors. According to reports in 2012, Forbes Global 2000 recognizes NTT DATA as the 5th largest IT Services company.[Forbes Global 2000]
NTT DATA’s history goes back to 1967, when the DATA Communications Bureau was established within the Nippon Telegraph and telephone Public Corporation (now NTT). In 1988 NTT DATA Communications Systems Corporation was spun off into a separate company from NTT.
- Acquired iPay88 - Online Payment Gateway for Asia Countries, Malaysia who specialize in online payment services and payment solutions for merchants with multiple financial institutions as business partners in Malaysia.
- Acquired Madrid-based everis, a company that provides a wide range of IT services including consulting, system integration and outsourcing.
- NTT DATA, the IT services provider with its U.S. headquarters in Plano has acquired Optimal Solutions Integration, a provider of SAP services headquartered in Irving, Texas.
- Acquired London-based Design and Technology Consultancy, RMA Consulting, who specialize in software design and delivery across multiple channels
- Acquired Italy-based Value Team S.p.A.
- Launched Global One Teams
- Acquired Keane Inc., increasing the Group’s total work force to 50,000
- Acquired FirstApex (company), increasing the business footprint in insurance domain
- Acquired India based Intelligroup, Inc headquartered at iLabs, Madhapur, Hyderabad, .
- New organizational structure "Company System" introduced
- Acquired Extend Technologies Pty Ltd in Australia, as part of a strategy to expand the global footprint of specalised SAP consulting businesses 
- 20th anniversary of establishment
- Acquired German-based Cirquent, Inc.
- Consolidated net sales of ¥1 trillion achieved
- First Japanese company to obtain BS 7799 certification, an international information security standard
- Obtained ISO 14001 certification
- Obtained ISO 9001 certification
- Listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange
- Changed English name to NTT DATA Corporation
- Listed on the Second Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange
- Received the Deming Application Prize for 1993
- Headquarters relocated to Toyosu, Koto-ku, Tokyo
- Authorized as a Systems Integrator
- NTT DATA Communications Systems Corporation spun off into a separate company from NTT
- Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (NTT) incorporated as a private company
- Mainframe ultra-large-scale computer DIPS-11 Model 45 developed
- DATA Communications Bureau established within Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Public Corporation
Within Japan, NTT DATA has established many joint ventures, such as NTT Data-Sanyo Electric to take care of the IT services of Sanyo electric group. Outside of Japan, NTT DATA has its wholly owned subsidiaries or offices in the UK, China, Malaysia, Thailand, India, the US, Australia, Singapore, Vietnam and other countries or regions.
Within the NTT Group, while NTT Comware focuses on the IT services to the Group companies, NTT Data mainly services non-NTT Group companies.
In 2010, NTT DATA acquired Intelligroup Inc., an US-based IT consulting and service providing company. After taking over Intelligroup, NTT became the ninth largest software company in the world, worth over $11 billion.
NTT DATA and Boston-based IT Service company Keane agreed to a merger on 29 October 2010. The acquisition is worth over US$1.23 billion. After the acquisition of Keane Inc., NTT DATA became the 8th largest software company in the world, with the annual revenue of $14 billion.
NTT and its Group companies:
- NTT Communications (NTT America, NTT Europe, etc.)
- NTT Comware
- NTT Data Engineering Systems Corporation
- NTT Docomo
- "London Stock Exchange October 31, 2013 Press release" (PDF).
- "Intelligroup press release".
- "NTT Data’s Big Year a Harbinger for Japan’s Software Industry".
- "Bloomberg Article - Keane acquisition".
- "Keane Jan 3,2011 Press release".
- "Keane Jan 31,2012 Press release".
- NTT DATA Worldwide Website
- NTT DATA Japan home page
- NTT DATA Business Solutions global website
- NTT DATA Business Solutions Australia website