A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2019)
NVivo (Release 1.0) / 18 March 2020
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, macOS|
|Type||Qualitative data analysis|
NVivo is a qualitative data analysis (QDA) computer software package produced by QSR International. NVivo helps qualitative researchers to organize, analyze and find insights in unstructured or qualitative data like interviews, open-ended survey responses, journal articles, social media and web content, where deep levels of analysis on small or large volumes of data are required.
NVivo is used predominantly by academic, government, health and commercial researchers across a diverse range of fields, including social sciences such as anthropology, psychology, communication, sociology, as well as fields such as forensics, tourism, criminology and marketing.
The first QSR International software product was developed by Tom and Lyn Richards. Originally called NUD*IST, it contained tools for fine and detailed analysis of unstructured textual data. In 1999, the Richards developed the first version of NVivo and eventually N6 was replaced by NVivo 7.
NVivo is intended to help users organize and analyze non-numerical or unstructured data. The software allows users to classify, sort and arrange information; examine relationships in the data; and combine analysis with linking, shaping, searching and modeling.
The researcher or analyst can identify trends and cross-examine information in a multitude of ways using its search engine and query functions. They can make notes in the software using memos and build a body of evidence to support their case or project.
NVivo accommodates a wide range of research methods, including network and organizational analysis, action or evidence-based research, discourse analysis, grounded theory, conversation analysis, ethnography, literature reviews, phenomenology, mixed methods research and the Framework methodology. NVivo supports data formats such as audio files, videos, digital photos, Word, PDF, spreadsheets, rich text, plain text and web and social media data. Users can interchange data with applications like Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, IBM SPSS Statistics, EndNote, Microsoft OneNote, SurveyMonkey and Evernote.
Users can purchase add-on modules: NVivo Transcription for automated transcriptions, where users can transcribe directly in NVivo (Release 1.0); and NVivo Collaboration Cloud, that uses the cloud to enable small team project sharing and collaboration.
NVivo - Windows is available in English, Chinese (Simplified), French, German and Japanese, Spanish and Portuguese. NVivo - Mac is available in English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.
Note: software named NUD*IST from 1981 to 1997 .
- N4 – 1997
- N5 – 2000
- N6 – 2002
- NVivo 2 – 2002
- NVivo 7 – 2006 (consolidation of NVivo and N6 (NUD*IST))
- NVivo 8 – 2008
- NVivo 9 and NVivo for Teams – 2010
- NVivo 10 – 2012
- NVivo for Mac Beta – 2014
- NVivo for Mac commercial release – 2014
- NVivo 11 for Windows in three editions; NVivo Starter, NVivo Pro, NVivo Plus. Updates to NVivo for Mac and NVivo for Teams – 2015
- NVivo 12 (Pro, Plus, Mac, and Teams) – 2018
- NVivo (Release 1.0) / Nvivo 1.0 – March 18, 2020 (Windows & Mac). As previously, the Mac version has fewer features. QSR also released Collaboration Cloud for sharing projects (within OS only). The Plus and Pro versions from NVivo 12 have been combined.
- McNiff, Kath (November 9, 2016). "What is Qualitative Research?". The NVivo Blog. QSR International. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- Miller, Robert L. (2006-03-31). "Review: Lyn Richards (2005). Handling Qualitative Data: A Practical Guide". Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research. 7 (2). doi:10.17169/fqs-7.2.107. ISSN 1438-5627.
- Tom and Lyn Richards (2003), "The way ahead in qualitative research", Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods, Vol.2, Issue 1, https://digitalcommons.wayne.edu/jmasm/vol2/iss1/4/
- Karen Dearne, Australian IT (July 2008) "Not easy being green, but audits help Archived 2008-08-03 at the Wayback Machine" Retrieved on 28-11-2008.
- Strategic partnership delivers greater flexibility to qualitative researchers in the UK and around the world, National Centre for Social Research, Retrieved 17-10-2011.
- About NVivo 10 Archived 2011-11-11 at the Wayback Machine, Retrieved 16-07-2012.
- Richards, Tom (2002). "An intellectual history of NUD*IST and NVivo". International Journal of Social Research Methodology. 5 (3): 199–214. doi:10.1080/13645570210146267. S2CID 143471345.
- "InfoGuides: Qualitative Research & Tools: NVivo".