NZ Climate Party
NZ Climate Party
|Ideology||Reducing climate change in New Zealand|
|Colours||Red and Black|
The NZ Climate Party was an unregistered political party in New Zealand. The party was focused on highlighting and addressing the threat of climate change. The party launched in August 2014, and was led by Peter Whitmore.
The party did not register to contest the party vote in the 2014 election, but stood two electorate candidates, in Auckland Central and Rongotai. A representative from the party, Aaron Carter, attended a candidates meeting in Newtown, Wellington dressed in an elephant costume and bearing a sign which said "climate change". His main messages were: "Don't vote for me, vote thinking about the climate", "It's all rearranging furniture on the Titanic as it's sinking", and "Learn to swim". Whitmore and Carter received 50 and 66 electoral votes respectively.
Climate Party member Rob Painting contested the 2015 Northland by-election with the stated goal of "raising awareness of climate and coastal issues affecting the Far North". He received 39 votes (0.13% of votes cast).
The party did not run any candidates in the 2017 election.
- "NZ Climate Party Launched". NZ Climate Party. 10 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Climate Party launched". TVNZ. 10 August 2014. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- "2014 Electorate Candidates". New Zealand Electoral Commission. 27 August 2014. Archived from the original on 27 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- O'Neil, Andrea (5 September 2014). "Newtown meeting a rousing affair". The Dominion Post. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Official Count Results -- Auckland Central". Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Official Count Results -- Rongotai". Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Climate Party contests the Northland by-election". NZ Climate Party. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Official Count Results -- Northland". Retrieved 5 January 2017.
|This article about a New Zealand political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a green political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|