N Brown Group
|Public (LSE: BWNG)|
|Lord Alliance, Chairman
Angela Spindler, CEO
|Revenue||£834.9 million (2014)|
|£107.0 million (2014)|
|£75.9 million (2014)|
N Brown Group plc (LSE: BWNG) is a British home shopping business based in Manchester, England. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. It trades as a home shopping retailer under several names, including JD Williams, Jacamo, Simply Be and High and Mighty.
The oldest company within the group was founded by James David Williams in 1859 when he started in business operating three mobile shops.
The company flourished, but the family connection was broken when the Williams family interests were bought out by Alliance Brothers Limited in 1963. Other catalogue companies were purchased, and the holding company for these became N Brown Investments.
The company focuses each of its brands on a section of the fashion-buying public traditionally ignored or poorly served by the UK high street. The company's catalogues target women aged 30 and above, with a particular focus on those over 50, and usually those of a larger frame.
Current brands include Fashion World, Gray & Osbourn, House of Bath, Jacamo, Marisota, Oxendales, Simply Be, JD Williams, Fifty Plus, Williams & Brown and High & Mighty.
Two of the major shareholders, Lord Alliance and Nigel Alliance, sit on the board.
The business has its operational Head Office in Manchester's Northern Quarter and has warehousing and distribution centres in Shaw and Crompton, in Greater Manchester, and Hadfield in Derbyshire. Gray & Osbourn is based in London, House of Bath is based in Bath while Oxendales is based in Dublin and High and Mighty is based in Newbury. The company has entered into long running contracts with Teleperformance, an outsourced call centre in Airdrie, who handle orderline and customer service calls, and ResQ in Hull, who fulfill these roles as well as an outbound team that calls existing customers and offers a discount on catalogue prices if they choose to place an order with them.
- "Annual Report 2014" (PDF). N Brown Group. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "Manchester Commerce, Businessmen and Entrepreneurs". manchester2002-uk.com. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "N Brown Group plc - Home". nbrown.co.uk. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- N Brown's outsize appeal Management Today, 1 September 1991
- Northern & Shell owner to call TV venture Express Shopping Channel Marketing Week, 21 October 2004
- N Brown trials TV shopping again Red Orbit, 7 August 2006
- Annual Report 2006 Page 14
- Feddy, Kevin (6 November 2007). "Business of the Year Awards: N Brown joy". Manchester Evening News (M.E.N. Media).
- N Brown buys Figleaves for £11.5m The Independent, 16 June 2010
- N Brown: Fufilment Logistics/Shaw Operations Centre