|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Padang Serai, Kedah
8 March 2008 – 5 May 2013
|Preceded by||Lim Bee Kau|
|Succeeded by||N. Surendran|
23 March 1960 |
Sitiawan, Perak, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||Independent (2011–present)
Gobalakrishnan Nagapan (born 23 March 1960) was the Member of the Parliament of Malaysia for the Padang Serai constituency in Kedah from 2008 to 2013. He was elected to the Parliament as a member of the People's Justice Party (PKR) in the opposition Pakatan Rakyat coalition, but in 2011 left the party to sit as an independent.
In September 2009, Gobalakrishnan was arrested for allegedly using criminal force to obstruct a police officer. He was found guilty and fined 3,000 ringgit. In December 2010, he spoke out against his party's leader, Anwar Ibrahim, suggesting that he make way for his daughter Nurul Izzah Anwar. He resigned from the party the following month to sit as an independent, announcing plans to form a non-governmental organisation. He recontested Padang Serai at the 2013 election, having unsuccessfully sought the nomination of the Barisan Nasional coalition. Without a party ticket he garnered less than one percent of the vote and lost his deposit.
|2008||N. Gobalakrishnan (PKR)||28,774||61%||Boey Chin Gan (MCA)||17,036||36%|
- Nalla rapped for changing tune, Nalla Retto, 8 January 2008, MalaysiaKini
- "Gobalakrishnan a/l Nagapan, Y.B. Tuan" (in Malay). Parliament of Malaysia. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- Sivanantha Sharma, M. (28 September 2009). "Padang Serai MP Gobalakrishnan arrested over 2004 case". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 21 December 2009.
- "Padang Serai MP Gobalakrishnan fined RM3,000 for obstructing cop (Updated)". The Star. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 14 May 2010.
- "PKR's Gobala gets show cause letter; wants Anwar out". The Star. Star Publications. 4 January 2010. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- S. Arulldas (29 January 2011). "Padang Serai MP Gobala quits PKR". The Star. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 23 May 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Gobalakrishnan wants to contest Padang Serai seat on BN ticket". Bernama. 10 April 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "YB.N.Gobalakrishan's Biodata". Retrieved 23 May 2010.