||It has been suggested that this article be merged with Sodium-proton antiporter. (Discuss) Proposed since December 2016.|
The sodium–hydrogen antiporter or sodium–hydrogen exchanger is a membrane protein found in many cells, and especially in those of the nephron of the kidney. Specifically in the intercalary cells of the collecting duct and in the epithelial cells of the proximal convoluted tubule. The membrane pump is primarily responsible for maintaining the balance of pH. Angiotensin II upregulates this antiporter in the proximal convoluted tubule in order to promote Na+ reabsorption and H+ secretion.
Regarding Dopamine Receptor Signaling: The Na+/H+ exchangers are a family of integral membrane proteins that regulate intracellular pH and transcellular Na+ absorption. Heterologously expressed D2, D3, and D4 receptors  activate the widely expressed Na+/H+ exchanger NHE1.
There are several isoforms of the antiporter:
- Sodium–hydrogen antiporter 1
- Sodium–hydrogen antiporter 2
- Sodium–hydrogen antiporter 3
- Sodium–hydrogen antiporter 5
- Sodium–hydrogen antiporter 6
- Sodium–hydrogen antiporter 8
- Bobulescu, IA; Moe, OW. "Na+/H+ exchangers in renal regulation of acid-base balance". Semin Nephrol. 26: 334–44. PMC . PMID 17071327. doi:10.1016/j.semnephrol.2006.07.001.
- Yun, CHC; Tse, C-M; Nath, SK; Levine, SA; Brant, SR; Donowitz, M (1995). "Mammalian Na+/H+ exchanger gene family: structure and function studies". Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 269: G1–G11.
- Neve, KA; Kozlowski, MR; Rosser, MP (1992). "Dopamine D2 receptor stimulation of Na+/H+ exchange assessed by quantification of extracellular acidification". J Biol Chem. 267: 25748–25753.
- Cox, BA; Rosser, MP; Kozlowski, MR; Duwe, KM; Neve, RL; Neve, KA (1995). "Regulation and functional characterization of a rat recombinant dopamine D3 receptor". Synapse. 21: 1–9. doi:10.1002/syn.890210102.
- Chio, CL; Lajiness, ME; Huff, RM (1994). "Activation of heterologously expressed D3 dopamine receptors: comparison with D2 dopamine receptors". Mol Pharmacol. 45: 51–60.
- Chio, CL; Drong, RF; Riley, DT; Gill, GS; Slightom, JL; Huff, RM (1994). "D4 dopamine receptor-mediated signaling events determined in transfected Chinese hamster ovary cells". J Biol Chem. 269: 11813–11819.
|This membrane protein–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|