Naam Tamilar Katchi
|Founder||S. P. Adithanar|
|Headquarters||Hospital road, Senthil Nagar, Porur, Chennai.|
|Newspaper||Enkal Desam (Our Country),
Vel Viccu (Vel throw),
|Student wing||Abdul Rawoof Manavar Pasarai|
|Youth wing||Muthukumar Ilayar Pasarai|
|Women's wing||Senkodi Magalir Pasarai|
|Ideology||Tamil Nationalism; Regionalism; Left-wing nationalism|
|Political position||Right wing|
|International affiliation||Naam Tamilar Malaysia, Naam Tamilar France|
|Twin Candles (இரட்டை மெழுகுவர்த்திகள்)|
Naam Tamilar Katchi, (Tamil: நாம் தமிழர் கட்சி; trans. "We Tamils Party"; abbr. NTK) is a Tamil nationalist party in the state of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, India. This party's main idol is Prabhakaran and his picture are found in all events of the party. Naam Tamilar Katchi promote Tamil Nationalism and oppose Dravidian politics in Tamil Nadu. NTK supports regional politics and opposes Indian national parties. Naam Tamilar believes a benevolent dictatorship like that of Lee Kuan Yew is needed to bring Tamil Nadu on right path.
- 1 History
- 2 Name and Emblem
- 3 Policy Position
- 4 Elections
- 5 External links
- 6 References
In 1958, Adithanar founded the "We Tamils" party (நாம் தமிழர் கட்சி) with the platform of forming a sovereign Tamil state. The party's stand was more radical than the Dravida Nadu demand of E. V. Ramasamy's Dravidar Kazhagam. It wanted the creation of a homogeneous Greater Tamil Nadu incorporating Tamil speaking areas of India and Sri Lanka. The party's headquarters was named as Tamiḻaṉ Illam (lit. The Home of the Tamilian). In 1960, the party organised statewide protests for the secession of Madras and the establishment of a sovereign Tamil Nadu. The protests were marked by the burning of maps of India (with Tamil Nadu left out). Adithanar was arrested for organising them. The party along with M. P. Sivagnanam's Tamil Arasu Kazhagam was also involved in the movement to change the name of the state from Madras State to Tamil Nadu.
Naam Tamilar Iyakkam
Following the closure of the Sri Lankan Civil War in which over 100.000 of Tamil civilians were wiped out and over 140,000 remaining unaccounted for, several activists in Tamil Nadu led by noted film director and Periyarism activist Seeman, gathered in Madurai on 18 May 2009 to revive the party as a social outfit Naam Tamilar Iyakkam (We are Tamils Organization).
On 18 May 2010, a year after the military subjugation of the Eelam Tamils and on the first anniversary of the organisation, the Naam Tamilar Iyakkam was converted into the Naam Tamilar Katchi, with Seeman the Chief Coordinator of the Party stating that the party would be an alternate political party different from the mainstream political outfits and also claiming that the establishment of an independent Tamil Eelam would be the moral goal of not just the party but Tamils in Tamil Nadu.
Name and Emblem
The name of the party signifies "We are Tamils" as opposed to being labelled by any caste or religion. The name also emphasizes the rule of Tamils in the Tamil homeland as opposed to the prevailing 'Dravidian' and 'Indian' parties that have contributed to the downfall of the Tamil people.
The NTK flag has similarity to the Flag of Tamil Eelam. Tiger was also the emblem of Cholas and the Tamil Tigers. The event of introducing the flag took place at Thanjavur, the historic capital of the Cholas.
The party has launched several agitations in demanding the state's share of water from upstream states, of the Kaveri and Mullaiperiyar rivers. Seeman has also publicly criticized successive regimes' apathy on the issue as well as the illegal sand quarrying of the river beds in the state.
In 2011-2012, when the state of Tamil Nadu was in the midst of a severe power crisis leading to exorbitant power tariffs and failure of industries in the state, the management of Neyveli Lignite Corporation, a central government held entity in Neyveli, Tamil Nadu was contemplating divesting shares to private players. This immediately sparked public unrest in the state, and most of its employees organizing a massive strike against the central government's decision. The corporation is accused of then allegedly manipulating its workers and indulging in acts to swiftly play down the issue.
The Naam Tamilar Katchi was among the forefront in opposing the decision, with Seeman declaring that the problem facing strikers was the prejudice of non-Tamil management against Tamil workers. He also attacked NLC for investing in other Indian states while there was an acute power shortage in Tamil Nadu.
Law and Order
Seeman has observed of the deteriorating law and order situation in the state during the Congress-DMK aliance. Seeman had also condemned the alleged assault of a group of Lankan tourists in Chennai. Seeman said that the party abhors violence in any form, and cadres who violate the party's principles of conduct will not be tolerated.
State of Refugees
Abolition of Death Penalty
Naam Tamilar Katchi has vocally supported the life-commutation and release of those convicted in the Rajiv Gandhi case. Seeman has advocated that the party's stand was not limited to the lives of the three Tamils but for the total abolition of the death penalty in India. Naam Tamilar Katchi had also called for humanitarian release of prisoners languishing in jails for more than 10 years. The party also voiced its support towards closing down the Eelam refugees special camps in Tamil Nadu which, they alleged, had become torture camps.
Retrieval of Katchatheevu
Seeman vowed to retrieve Kachatheevu by creating 50,000 special battalion forces and invading the island single-handedly within one day 
Tamil rule in Tamil Nadu
Seeman stressed, that the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu should be a native Tamil. One of the slogan of Naam Tamilar Katchi is, that everyone has right to live in Tamil Nadu, but only the Tamils have the right to rule in Tamil Nadu. Seeman was criticized by medias and individuals, that his statement being racist. He was questioned by Tamil medias, who is Tamil? How do you define a Tamil?
Manifesto and Declaration
2011 Tamil Nadu Assembly Election
Though it did not contest in 2011 polls, the NTK spearheaded a large-scale campaign against the Congress Party in the Tamil Nadu legislative assembly election, 2011 for their alleged role in the genocide of Tamils in Sri Lanka and various other anti-Tamil policies of the party.
2016 Tamil Nadu Assembly Election
Affirming to its long-established standpoint, Naam Tamilar Katchi will contest on its own in all of the 234 constituencies in Tamil Nadu as well as those in the districts of Puducherry and Karaikal. On 12 February 2016, all 234 Naam Tamilar Katchi candidates were introduced in Cuddalore on a stage by its leader Seeman. The party promote equal rights and has also included candidates with disabilities. It is the first party in the history of Tamil Nadu with a transgender candidate. On 2 March 2016, Seeman has introduced at a press meeting, that the twin candles is the election symbol of Naam Tamilar Katchi. On 23 March 2016, Naam Tamilar Katchi published its election manifesto 2016.
Seeman openly challenged Arunan a CPM party member that he would score more votes than their PWF alliance in the 2016 state assembly elections failing which he vowed to dissolve his party and join the CPM. The party scored less than the alliance overall and even less than NOTA. Seeman's party lost everywhere with himself scoring 5th place in Cuddalore and lost deposit. Seeman was asked by reporters about his challenge. He replied that he challenged the Communists and not the Vijaykanth + PWF alliance. He said that Naam Tamilar has scored more votes than every single party in PWF alliance, and so that he has won the challenge. Naam Tamilar party scored 458,104 (1.1%) votes in 2016 Tamil Nadu Assembly Election and was ahead of long-term political parties like MDMK, CPI, VCK, CPM and TMC. NTK party Leader Seeman see its as a good start for Naam Tamilar Katchi.
2017 R.K. Nagar by-election
Naam Tamilar has fielded K. Kalaikottudhayam as its candidate for R.K. Nagar by-election and contest under ‘Twin candles’ symbol. Seeman criticizes, that voters in Tamil Nadu give the symbols more attention than the canditates. He said the election commission, should replace the symbols with canditate numbers or give every elections new symbols for the parties, so that there is an equality. He also criticizes the election commission for not making great efforts to stop the bribery of voters in R.K. Nagar. The Tamil Television Puthiya Thalaimurai TV made a survey in R.K. Nagar on "Which participating party is an alternative to DMK and AIADMK" the result was Naam Tamilar 11.72%, BJP 8.99%, DMDK 8.54%, CPI 5.45%, No one 62.67%. R.K. Nagar by-election does not take place as planned on April 12, because the election rules were violated by large-scale bribery and corruption. Seeman showed his dissatisfaction with the Indian Democracy and said it was not fair by the election commission to stop the elections and punish all, instead take steps to disqualify the parties who were involved in bribery.
- "Naam Tamilar Katchi Candidate List" (pdf). Naam Tamilar Katchi. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Naam Tamilar Katchi.pdf" (pdf). Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Naam Tamilar Katchi.pdf" (pdf). Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Regional parties should rule respective States: Seeman". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Seeman Is The Rising Star Of Tamil Politics, Making The Campaign Colourful". swarajyamag.com. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- Ramaswamy, Sumathy. Passions of the tongue: language devotion in Tamil India, 1891–1970. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 978-0-520-20805-6.
- Gopal Ethiraj from Chennai (2010-04-15). "Seeman to convert his 'Naam Tamilar' into political party". Asian Tribune. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "New party to be launched in Tamil Nadu with Leaping Tiger as its flag". TamilNet. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "ஆய்வுகள்" (in Tamil). Tamilkathir. 2012-11-30. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "Seeman calls for vote bank to protect Tamils". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- "Popular Tamil actor Seeman among 400 arrested following protests over Mullaperiyar". IBNLive. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "Declare Thanjavur district drought-hit: Seeman". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "Clean sweep". Frontline. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "Nallakannu, Seeman arrested near Srivaikuntam reservoir". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Power Crisis in Tamil Nadu". livemint. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "India: The lessons of the NLC betrayal". World Socialist Website. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "NLC workers withdraw strike". Business standard. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "Ban on all sorts of stir in Cuddalore district". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "Mercenary menace up: Seeman". New Indian Express. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "Seeman condemns attacks on Lankan tourists". New Indian Express. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "TN: Eight Lankan refugees arrested". New Indian Express. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "'Land of Ahimsa should abolish death penalty'". New Indian Express. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "Release persons incarcerated for over 10 years, says Seeman". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Katchatheevu". Youtube.
- "தமிழர்கள் தான் தமிழகத்தை ஆள வேண்டும்: சீமான்". Dinakaran.
- "வாழும் உரிமை அனைவருக்கும் உண்டு - ஆளும் உரிமை எம் தமிழருக்கே - செந்தமிழன் சீமான் கொள்கை முழக்கம்". Youtube.
- "Kelvikkenna Bathil, Exclusive Interview with NTK Seeman, Thanthi TV". Youtube.
- "Rajinikanth In Politics : Are Political Parties Afraid.?". Youtube.
- "Agni Paritchai with Seeman, Puthiya Thalaimurai TV". Youtube.
- "Naam Tamilar Katchi Policies". Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "NTK Neutral on Vaiko, to Back Jaya". Indian Express. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Naam Tamilar Katchi to work for defeat of Cong in TN, IBN Live News". Ibnlive.in.com. 2011-02-20. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "Seeman effect on Congress Party". TruthDive. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Seeman to announce party candidates tomorrow". NewsWebIndia. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Seeman gets the first recognition in politics". indiaglitz.com.
- "My thoughts about Naam Tamilar Katchi election mainfesto". youtube.com.
- "Naam Tamilar Seeman Releases His Election Manifesto". youtube.com.
- "Seeman's challenge". youtube.com.
- "2016 election results".
- "Seeman's performance". youtube.com.
- "Naam Tamilar Katchi got more Votes than Communist Parties : Seeman - Thanthi TV". youtube.com.
- "மதிமுக, தமாகா, சிபிஎம், சிபிஐ, வி.சி. வாக்கு சதவீதத்தை ஓரம் கட்டிய... நாம் தமிழர்!". oneindia.com.
- "Seeman's opinion on TN Election 2016 Results". youtube.com.
- "NTK names R.K. Nagar candidate". The Hindu.
- "Voting for symbols must be stopped : Seeman". youtube.com.
- "Seeman urges EC to prevent Cash Distribution". youtube.com.
- "Exclusive: RK Nagar By-Election's Pre-Poll Survey Results". youtube.com.
- "தேமுதிக, சிபிஎம், பாஜகவை விட மக்கள் அதிகம் விரும்புவது நாம் தமிழர் கட்சி - புதிய தலைமுறை சர்வே". One India.
- "EC cancels RK Nagar bypoll, cites voter bribery, corruption". India Times.
- "NTK Chief Seeman on "Cancellation of RK Nagar By-Election, Thanthi TV". youtube.com.