|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article is part of a series on|
Naamloze vennootschap (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈnaːmloːzə ˈvɛnoːtsxɑp]; correctly abbreviated nv, however, often abbreviated N.V. or NV) is a public company, usually only used in the Netherlands, Belgium, Indonesia, and Suriname. The company is owned by shareholders, and the company's shares are not registered to certain owners, so that they may be traded on the public stock market.
The phrase literally means "nameless partnership" or "anonymous venture" and comes from the fact that the partners (the shareholders) are not directly known. This is in contrast to the term for a private limited company, which is called besloten vennootschap (an "exclusive" or "closed partnership", one in which stock is not for sale on open markets).
The naamloze vennootschap is a legal entity in the Netherlands, Belgium, Aruba, Curaçao, Suriname, St. Maarten, and Indonesia, although in Indonesia the Indonesian translation Perseroan Terbatas (PT) is more commonly used.
- Aktiebolag (the corresponding concept in Sweden and Finland)
- Aktiengesellschaft (the corresponding concept in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland)
- Aktieselskab (the corresponding concept in Denmark)
- Inc (Incorporated, the corresponding concept in US)
- Ltd (Limited, The corresponding concept in Commonwealth countries such as India and other countries which is for public companies just Ltd or private companies with Pvt Ltd or Pte Ltd in Singapore.)
- Rt. (Részvénytársaság, The corresponding concept in Hungary)
- Osakeyhtiö (the corresponding concept in Finland)
- Plc (the corresponding concept in the UK and Ireland)
- S.A. (the corresponding concept in Latin America, Portugal, France, Spain, and other Romanic countries, also in Poland and Belgium)
- Societas Europaea (for the corresponding concept for European companies in the European Union)
- S.p.A (the corresponding concept in Italy—Società per Azioni)
- Types of companies
- Ulinich, Anya (2014-06-27). "N.V. (NV or Naamloze Vennootschap) Definition | Investopedia". Retrieved 2016-08-22.