Naan Mahaan Alla (1984 film)
|Naan Mahaan Alla|
|Directed by||S. P. Muthuraman|
|Produced by||Rajam Balachander|
|Screenplay by||A. L. Narayanan|
|Story by||Subhash Ghai|
M. N. Nambiar
Naan Mahaan Alla (transl. I am not a saint) is a 1984 Indian Tamil-language action film directed by S. P. Muthuraman. This film features Rajinikanth, Radha and M. N. Nambiar in the lead roles. It is a remake of the Hindi film Vishwanath (1978)..The film was commercially successful, running for more than 100 days at the box office.
Viswanath (Rajinikanth), a famous lawyer, stays with his widowed mother (Vijayakumari) and physically handicapped sister (Uma). He sends Jagan, a rich magnate's son (Sathyaraj) and Lokaiya, two criminals to jail on the charge of rape and murder of an innocent girl. Jagan's father, GMK (M N Nambiar) uses his influence and starts creating trouble in Viswanath's life. GMK succeeds in getting Viswanath imprisoned on a trumped up charge. His heartbroken mother dies. Once out of jail, Viswanath sets out to punish the culprits when he temporarily loses his eyesight.
- Rajinikanth as Viswanath/V.N
- Radha as Geetha
- M. N. Nambiar as G.M.K
- V.K.Ramasamy as Dhanakodi
- Cho Ramaswamy as A. R. Chandran/Reddy
- Senthamarai as Eshwaran
- Sathyaraj as Jagan
- Sangili Murugan as Doctor
- Leo Prabu as Logu
- K. Kannan as Ramesh
- A. R. S. as Saravanan's father
- S. N. Lakshmi as Kalpana's mother
- C. R. Vijayakumari as Viswanath's mother
- Uma Bharani as Shanthi
- Peeli Sivam as Gopinath
- S. R. Veeraraghavan as Judge
- K. Natraj as Henchman of G.M.K
- Oru Viral Krishna Rao as Henchman of G.M.K
- Ennatha Kannaiya as Assistant of A. R. Chandran
- Pasi Narayanan as Chettiyar
- LIC Narasimhan as Eye Doctor
- Kullamani as Group dancer
- Omakuchi Narasimhan as Group dancer
- Srilekha Rajendran
The film was originally titled Naan Gandhi Alla but, following a court order, was retitled Naan Mahaan Alla. As a result, the lead character's final dialogue was changed to match the new title, although the lip syncing to the original dialogue "Naan Gandhi Alla" was not changed.
|1.||"Maalai Soodum Vaelai"||Vaali||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:28|
|2.||"Um Mele Oru Kannu"||Malaysia Vasudevan, S. Janaki||4:08|
|3.||"Kalyanam Vaipogum"||S.P. Balasubrahmanyam & S. Janaki||4:29|
- Ramachandran, Naman (2014) . Rajinikanth: The Definitive Biography. New Delhi: Penguin Books. p. 109. ISBN 978-0-14-342111-5.
- "Between Reviews: Sophomore Blues". Baradwaj Rangan. 28 August 2010. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "கமல் நடிப்பில் உருவான துரோகி, டாப் டக்கர் படங்கள் என்ன ஆனது என தெரியுமா?". Ananda Vikatan. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Nambiar, M.N. Dipak (2019). Nambiarswami: The Good, the Bad and the Holy. HarperCollins. pp. 62–63.
- Ilaiyaraaja (1984). Naan Mahaan Alla (liner notes) (in Tamil). Echo Records.