Nabeel Qureshi (director)
1985 (age 32–33)|
Sukkur, Sindh, Pakistan
|Occupation||Film, television & music video director, screenwritern singer|
|Notable work||Na Maloom Afraad & Actor In Law|
Nabeel Qureshi (born 1985) is a Pakistani film, television, & music video director, and screenwriter. He is best known for his 2014's directorial debut and box office hit Na Maloom Afraad. He is also the director of the comedy news show Banana News Network which airs on Geo TV. Qureshi is two times Lux Style Award nominator. He also tried his luck in singing, with at least one title, Khamosh Dono.
Qureshi was born in 1985 in Sukkur, Sindh and moved to Karachi in 2004. He studied Theatre at National Academy of Performing Arts (NAPA) and was dropped out because of some issues with the faculty.
Qureshi started his career in mid-2000s by directing ads, cooking shows, television shows and television films.
In 2014, Qureshi made his directorial debut with Na Maloom Afraad, which he co-wrote with his college friend Fizza Ali Meerza, who produced the film along with Mehdi Ali through her Filmwala Pictures. The comedy thriller stars Fahad Mustafa, Fahad Mustafa, Mohsin Abbas Haider, and Urwa Hocane, released domestically on October 6, 2014 by Hum Films. The film became the box office hit in Pakistan and grossed ₨12.2 crore until March 2015, with a budget of ₨9 crore. In 2015, he was nominated for the Lux Style Award for Best Director and for Best Original Soundtrack for the lyrics of "Billi", which would be shared with Meerza. The ceremony would be held in late 2015.
In January 2015, Qureshi revealed that he and his writing partner Meerza were working on another project, which would be a social satire. Both were developing the script of a film named Actor in Law which would start shoot in 2016. The film was released on Eid ul Adha September 9, 2016.
- Banana News Network (TV show, since 2011)
- As director / co-writer
As ads/music video director
- "Beparwah Dhola"; 2012 song by Mohsin Abbas Haider
Awards and nominations
|2015||14th Lux Style Awards||Best Director||Na Maloom Afraad||Won|
|Best Original Soundtrack||"Billi"||shared with Fizza Ali Meerza|
|2017||16th Lux Style Awards||Best Director||Actor in Law|||
- Mahamadi, Hiba (January 20, 2015). "Undercover Director: Nabeel Qureshi". newslinemagazine.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Ghafoor, Usman (December 28, 2014). ""Film is about story-telling"". thenews.com.pk. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Banana News Network". geo.tv. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "PakMusic Exclusive Audio/Video: Beparwah Dhola by Mohsin Abbas Haider". pakmusic.net. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Na-Maloom Afraad set to hit screens on Eid-ul-Azha". dawn.com. September 6, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Muslim, Samra (June 27, 2014). "Cinema in Pakistan: What's Brewing?". thefridaytimes.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Na Maloom Afraad is Pakistan's longest running film since 2007". tribune.com.pk. March 23, 2015. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Syed, Faria (April 24, 2015). "Nabeel Qureshi talks 200 days of Namaloom Afrad". hipinpakistan.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Lux Style Awards 2015 nominees announced". tribune.com.pk. July 16, 2015. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Ansari, Hasan (July 4, 2015). "Na Maloom Afraad to hit the road again". tribune.com.pk. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "WINNER'S LIST AND PICTURES OF 16TH LUX STYLE AWARDS 2017". Lux Style Awards. 24 April 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
He is also an academy award winning director.