Nabeel Qureshi (director)
|Born||1985 (age 33–34)|
|Na Maloom Afraad, Actor In Law & Na Maloom Afraad 2|
Nabeel Qureshi (born 1985) is an award-winning Pakistani Film Director and screenwriter who is best known for making movies that tackle socio economic issues in a thought provoking yet light hearted manner. Nabeel uses a unique style incorporated in his realistic stories, which in turn has gained a lot of critical acclaim. He made waves in Pakistani cinema with his debut feature film, Na Maloom Afraad (2014), where he won an award for best film director following up with his critical acclaimed and his biggest box office hit till date Actor in Law 2016 for which he again won an award for best director . His films topics probe the society to think about topics that are considered unimportant and don't matter in the system. Nabeel skillfully uses politics, pop culture and daily happenings which resonates with the audience. Touching on issues of economic inequality, his novelty films take the audience on an enthralling ride which hits close to home. His insightful movies have proven that film has the power to promote change.
Qureshi was born in 1985 in Sukkur, Sindh and moved to Karachi in 2004. he started his career from AAJ TV, where directed promos, after one year he left the job and started studying theatre at National Academy of Performing Arts (NAPA) and was dropped out because of some issues with the faculty in 2006. while studying in napa in 2005, he and fizza ali meerza his Producer frnd founded the company called "FILMWALA" in 2005, by which they produced show called "Childhood with Zymal"
Qureshi started his career in mid-2000s by directing ads, cooking shows, television shows and television films.
In 2014, Qureshi made his directorial debut with Na Maloom Afraad, which he co-wrote with his college friend Fizza Ali Meerza, who produced the film along with Mehdi Ali through her Filmwala Pictures. The comedy thriller stars Fahad Mustafa, Fahad Mustafa, Mohsin Abbas Haider, and Urwa Hocane, released domestically on October 6, 2014 by Hum Films. The film became the box office hit in Pakistan and grossed ₨12.2 crore until March 2015, with a budget of ₨9 crore. At the 14th Lux Style Awards, Na Maloom Afraad won the Best Film award, Nabeel went on to win the Lux Style Award for Best Director and Best Original Soundtrack for the lyrics of "Billi" for his film Na Maloom Afraad, which he shared with Meerza. 
In January 2015, Qureshi revealed that he and his writing partner Meerza were working on another project, later named Actor in Law which would be a social satire.  The first spell of the film was shot in Karachi in January 2016.  The film was released on the occasion of Eid al-Adha on September 9, 2016 to good response from the audience and went on to collect ₨ 30 crore at the box office. 
After the success of Na Maloom Afraad, the director-producer duo started thinking about a possible sequel of the film, and producer Fizza Ali Meerza said after nine months of the success of NMA, in an interview with The Express Tribune that, "We'd hopefully like to start working on a NMA sequel, but don't have a timeline in mind at present,". "We don't know if it's going to be a proper sequel or a spiritual successor through which we'll tell a different story this time".  Filming began in March 2017 in Karachi, where few scenes were shot.  while nearly the whole film was shot in Cape Town, South Africa.  The film released on the festival of Eid al-Adha, 2 September 2017 in Pakistan and worldwide. The film collected ₨ 20 crore at the box office. 
Later on he directed and co-wrote the social-comedy drama film Load Wedding, starring Fahad Mustafa and Mehwish Hayat: which had released on 2018 Eid al-Adha, and which earned critical acclaim as well worked in the box-office.
|2014||Na Maloom Afraad||Yes||Yes|
|2016||Actor in Law||Yes||Yes||Special appearance in title song "Actor in Law"|
|2017||Na Maloom Afraad 2||Yes||Yes|
Frequent actor collaborations
Na Maloom Afraad
Actor in Law
Na Maloom Afraad 2
|Mohsin Abbas Haider||3|
|Noor ul Hasan||2|
- Banana News Network (Comedy TV show)
As ads/music video director
- Beparwah Dhola (2012), song by Mohsin Abbas Haider
- Khamosh Dono (2011)
Awards and nominations
|2015||14th Lux Style Awards||Best Director||Na Maloom Afraad||Won|
|Best Original Soundtrack||"Billi"||shared with Fizza Ali Meerza|
|2017||16th Lux Style Awards||Best Director||Actor in Law|||
- Ghafoor, Usman (December 28, 2014). ""Film is about story-telling"". thenews.com.pk. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Mahamadi, Hiba (January 20, 2015). "Undercover Director: Nabeel Qureshi". newslinemagazine.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Banana News Network". geo.tv. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "PakMusic Exclusive Audio/Video: Beparwah Dhola by Mohsin Abbas Haider". pakmusic.net. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Na-Maloom Afraad set to hit screens on Eid-ul-Azha". dawn.com. September 6, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Muslim, Samra (June 27, 2014). "Cinema in Pakistan: What's Brewing?". thefridaytimes.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Na Maloom Afraad is Pakistan's longest running film since 2007". tribune.com.pk. March 23, 2015. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Syed, Faria (April 24, 2015). "Nabeel Qureshi talks 200 days of Namaloom Afrad". hipinpakistan.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Lux Style Awards 2015: 'Na Maloom Afraad' declared best film, Javaid Sheikh best actor and Ayeza Khan best TV actress". Daily Times. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- "From the makers of 'Na Maloom Afraad' comes 'Actor in Law'". The Express Tribune. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Meet and Greet the cast of Actor in Law". Style360. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- "Actor in Law – Box office record". Boxofficedetail.com. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- Hasan Ansari (4 July 2015). "Na Maloom Afraad to hit the road again". The Express Tribune. Archived from the original on 30 July 2018. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Adnan Majeed (17 March 2017). "Na Maloom Afraad 2 shooting begins". Trends in PK. Archived from the original on 28 August 2017. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Irfan ul Haq (22 June 2017). "Na Maloom Afraad 2 trailer is out now". DAWN Images. Archived from the original on 22 June 2017. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Rahul Aijaz (7 October 2017). "'Na Maloom Afraad 2' banned, previewed and cleared again in Punjab". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- Usman Ghafoor (18 December 2018). "Nabeel Qureshi promises fun with 'Load Wedding'". Gulf News. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- "Mehwish Hayat, Fahad Mustafa to reunite in Load Wedding". Pakistan Today. 9 December 2018. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- Nabeel Qureshi – Khamosh Dono (Official Music Video), Pakium
- "Lux Style Awards 2015 nominees announced". tribune.com.pk. July 16, 2015. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "WINNER'S LIST AND PICTURES OF 16TH LUX STYLE AWARDS 2017". Lux Style Awards. 24 April 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.