Nabil El-Nayal, the designer behind ready-to-wear fashion brand Nabil Nayal, was born in Syria and moved to England at the age of 14. He went on to win many prestigious awards including the Royal Society of Arts Award, the Graduate Fashion Week 'Best Womenswear' Award and the British Fashion Council MA Scholarship Award; enabling him to study at the Royal College of Art. Nabil’s obsession with Elizabethan craftsmanship has deeply informed his practice; seen through his use of pleats, dramatic construction and powerful silhouettes. Whilst this backdrop of historical references remains at the heart of the brand, Nabil is also conducting extensive research into ways in which these techniques can be applied, using the latest technologies. He was the first fashion designer in the world to use 3D printing in June 2010 and is currently undertaking a research doctorate in how 3D scanning can become integral to the design process. In 2008 Nabil was invited by Christopher Bailey to work as ’Researcher Reporting to the Creative Director’ at Burberry Prorsum and in 2009 River Island commissioned Nabil to create a capsule collection which sold out in 3 days. Nabil’s entire MA collection was purchased by Harrods as part of the 2010 Harrods Launches platform and he was invited to the Buckingham Palace Reception for the British Clothing Industry where he met Queen Elizabeth II. At this time Nabil worked alongside David Sassoon as Assistant Designer at Bellville Sassoon and in 2011 Nabil made his London Fashion Week debut as a semi-finalist in Colin McDowell's Fashion Fringe competition, attracting high-profile supporters such as Claudia Schiffer, Lady Gaga, Florence Welch & Rihanna. In February 2015 Nabil was shortlisted for the LVMH Prize and invited to show at Paris Fashion Week and in July he showed a collection to private clients at the 2015 Haute Couture Paris Fashion Week.
His clothes are worn by many celebrities such as Florence Welch, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Claudia Schiffer Victoria Beckham, and Lorde. Most recently Karl Lagerfeld commisoned Nabil to make a shirt for his muse and collaborator Amanda Harlech.
El-Nayal has received numerous prestigious awards including:
- Royal Society of Arts Award 2008
- Graduate Fashion Week 'Best Womenswear' Award 2008
- British Fashion Council MA Scholarship Award – for the Royal College of Art 2008
- Crown Paint 2009 (interior design competition)
- Harrods Launches 2010
- Fashion Fringe Semi-Finalist 2011
- LVMH Prize shortlist 2015
- LVMH Prize finalist 2017
- "Interview: Syrian Designer Nabil Nayal Fall 2015 Collection - Style.com/Arabia". style.com.
- "Fashion student wins prestigious award - News & Events - Manchester Metropolitan University". Mmu.ac.uk. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- "All the winners from Graduate Fashion Week 2008". elleuk.com.
- "British Fashion Council". britishfashioncouncil.com.
- "British Fashion Council - 2008 Winner". britishfashioncouncil.com.
- "Graduate Fashion Week: Royal College of Art fashion show". telegraph.co.uk.
- "Alumni Stories". Mmu.ac.uk. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- JoJo Iles. "Nabil Nayal: Elizabethan Catwalk Artistry Meets Middle Eastern Delight". Fashioncapital.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- "Dream Designers: Nabil El-Nayal". CRAIGCAGLIARINI.
- "One To Watch: Nabil El-Nayal - Wonderland Magazine". Wonderland Magazine. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- "Nabil has designs on success - News & Events - Manchester Metropolitan University". Mmu.ac.uk. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- "Passion Never Goes Out of Fashion". passionnevergoesoutoffashion.blogspot.com.
- "Nabil Nayal". fashionfringe.co.uk.
- Zoe Yates. "Fashion Fringe LFW". littlemsfashion.com.
- Carlene Thomas-Bailey. "UK cities take on London in the fashion stakes". the Guardian.
- "Harrods Launches Nabil El Nayal". Harrods.com. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- "Harrods new designers Zara Gorman, Nabil El-Nayal, Jung-Yoon Shin (Vogue.co.uk)". Vogue UK.
- "Her Majesty". google.com.
- "Fashion fringe semi finalists announced". harpersbazaar.co.uk.
- "Roland Mouret and Claudia Schiffer - Fashion Fringe finalists (Vogue.co.uk)". Vogue UK.
- "Claudia Schiffer and Roland Mouret on the future of London fashion". telegraph.co.uk.
- "Going Gaga for Nabil Nayal". fashionfringe.co.uk.
- "LVMH Unveils Shortlist for Prize". The Business of Fashion.
- "LVMH reveals designer shortlist for prestigious prize". Dazeddigital.com. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- Cite error: The named reference
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/lorde-performs-at-le-zenith-on-october-5-2017-in-paris-france-picture-id858011152was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "A snappy stencil for Crown Paint - Design Inspiration. Planet Stencil Library". typepad.com.
- Cite error: The named reference
https://en.vogue.me/fashion/news/nabil-el-nayal-2017-lvmh-prize-finalistwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).